the worst word to exist

"Oh really? And you are quite the listener."

His words came to a sudden stop as footsteps rushed down the basement stairs. All lighting in the main floor of the house turned back on. The basement remained shrouded in darkness, but a flashlight beamed alongside the footsteps. It barely missed (Y/n), only pressing against Akaza in a clean circle. Such a sudden flash of light caught her eyes off guard, and she tightly closed her eyes while crawling backwards an inch.

An aggravated groan escaped the persons lips as he bent down and grabbed Akazas wrist. "Akaza?! Storms over, Y'can stop hiding now you pussy." As the light faded away, she opened her eyes once more. That darkness in the basement didn't leave, she couldn't see a thing. Despite her blindness, she was fully aware of her surroundings. The boy from earlier... Akaza.? He was gone.

Something in her was a bit sad that their encounter was so... short lasting. Not just that, but she didn't get a glimpse at Akaza for even a second! Chances were, they would never meet again. Her mind quickly regathered itself, scratching Akaza out of the picture and focusing on her swollen ankle. Despite his diagnosis, Akaza was unhelpful for the most part with her injury. When she tried to help herself onto her feet, her bottom immediately fell down into the floor as if it was magnetized.

The ceiling shook as the music began to rise in volume once more. There was no hope of calling for help anymore. People upstairs jumped up and down as they danced, all while (Y/n) laid completely flat on the floor. She was sure if anyone noticed her, they'd believe her to be dead.

Oddly enough, she always had a decent vulnerability to pain since she was born, so she was able to withstand this injury until someone found her. As she laid down, her eyes began to drift in and out of consciousness. Within 10 minutes, she was somehow able to turn the loud music into a gentle tune and fall asleep.

-

Her feet gently moved beneath the warm embrace of thick, white bed covers. Turning her body to the side, she swung her arm over and groaned. As her hand relaxed, she immediately woke up as she felt someone else's skin. Her eyes shot open and she jumped backwards.

A sigh of relief left her lips. "Oh, Kanao," she muttered, reviving a small laugh from the black haired girl. "You're awake, thank goodness. I was looking around with Tanjiro and the others for you last night! We were a little bit scared when we couldn't find you instantly." (Y/n) smiled at the reassurance and care her friend offered her. Despite being clung to her boyfriend all night, Kanao always had (Y/n)s back. These two had been friends since they were babies, all the way until college.

As (Y/n) sat up, she allowed her eyes to slowly adjust to their dorm. From the looks of it, Kanao must've cleaned the entire place. Clothes was neatly organized between the girls across the room, and it looked like she took some laundry out while (Y/n) soundly slept. Raising both of her arms up, she stretched her legs out. A tiny pain came from her ankle, and she pushed the blankets away to see what it was.

A few white bandages wrapped neatly around her ankle as (Y/n) slowly moved her foot around.

Kanao turned around from where she was standing, looking at her roommate. "Oh, we had Nezuko take a look at your ankle. She told us it's a hyperflexation, and you just need to be easy on it." The boyfriend of Kanao, Tanjiro, had a younger sister in college named Nezuko. Her degree focused in nursing, and she was incredibly good at what she did. If she wanted to, Nezuko could easily become a doctor with a few more years of schooling. However, she preferred being around newborns and nursing them.