Epilogue

The books in the Malfoy library were old and dust-covered. Carefully picking one from the shelves, Draco wiped the cover and opened it, the spine crackling and popping with age.

The first page was blank. It was a diary, one that he'd never used, but was given the day he began his first year at Hogwarts. Now seemed only perfect for him to document his past year at the school.

It'd only been a few weeks since that last day seeing Hermione, but it felt like forever. He couldn't get over the fact that he wouldn't be seeing her for awhile. She didn't write, so neither did he.

Searching for a quill and ink, he rummaged through old bins against the walls. Finding his treasure, he dipped the writing utensil in ink and began his first entry.

I'm never going to let her get away from me, he wrote. I love her, and I'll get back to her. I understand our agreement, that we can only come back together when we've figured out our future, but I wish I hadn't gone along with it. I can't stand it, not seeing her anymore.

What if she's fallen in love with another man? What if I'm not what she wants anymore? What if he can do anything for her, bring her to his family's house without having to worry about arguments breaking out?

I won't accept it. I won't let her slip away, not when I've just grabbed hold. Hermione Granger will not be forgotten. I will find her. She will remember our love, and that will be the only thing that matters.

Draco put down the quill. That was his mission statement. He would find her, no matter the cost, no matter the consequences. He'd lay down his life for her.

"I'll always find you, Granger," he said to himself. "I'm coming, don't worry, my love."

And with a confident grin on his face, he slammed shut the diary.