8. Again

Hermione's POV

Hermione's mind was racing, running in circles, overwhelming her to the point of having to lean against the stone wall beside her in the dark corridor.

She was anxious, excited, sad, happy, any feeling that she could have at that second, she was experiencing it. Would he be glad to see her? Would he even show?

Hermione had no time to think about it, though, for she heard someone coming. It wasn't the staggered limp of Filch, but it was a student. She couldn't tell who.

A pillar that filled with flames was near, so she scurried and hid behind it. Her robes were just swishing around the corner when she saw the face of who it was. It was Ron.

Ron looked like he didn't want to be caught; he was looking back around his shoulder often. Hermione groaned. What if Draco was already there? What if he was waiting, and if she wasn't there, he'd leave? What if?

Hermione stepped out from behind the stone pillar, thinking, may as well get this over with.

Ron looked surprised, and he jumped a bit. "Hermione!" he gasped. "What're you doing here?"

"Uh...library." Hermione fumbled with the cuffs of her sleeves while she lied.

Ron nodded in an all-knowing way, which made Hermione flush with annoyance. He didn't know anything about her, and if he did, he'd know that she wouldn't be out at night in the library, unless there was something going on with You-Know-Who. And that didn't seem to be happening any time soon.

"Right." Ron looked around.

"Looking for someone?" Hermione pressed, now looking for details.

Ron seemed flustered, his forehead in wrinkles, and his hair disheveled. "Er...no. I guess not."

"Okay. I'll see you back in the common room, then. 'Night, Ron." Hermione ended the conversation abruptly.

He nodded, still looking confused. Waving feebly, he started to walk toward Hermione, and went past her. His eyes were blank, like he was deep in thought.

"Ron," Hermione hissed. "Common room's that way." She jabbed her thumb the direction he'd come.

He shook his head. "Right." Finally, he was gone, leaving Hermione alone again, on her way to the empty classroom she'd been for the last detentions.

She turned a corner, and the classroom was right in front of her, at the end of the hall. She proceeded, her steps getting quicker, lighter. She was almost there. In seconds, she would see him. She would kiss him, and she would hug him.

A hand reached out and bumped her in the chest. She was at a loss for words, unsure of how to get out of this one. But when she looked up, relief flooded throughout her whole body, recognizing him.

Draco.

"Draco," she breathed, "I thought you would've left already, I ran into Ron, and--"

"You're still hanging out with that slimy git?" Draco said sternly, almost angry.

Hermione hit him lightly on the arm. "Hey, he's still a friend. It's not like I'm kissing him. I'll save that for someone else." She poked him in the chest.

He smiled. Putting his arm out, he asked in a mock polite voice, "Right this way, madam,"

She giggled and looped her arm through his, and they marched together down the hall. After a little bit, Draco loosened his grip, and his arm was loosely dangling through Hermione's, until he slid his hand down her arm. She shuddered excitedly.

His cold, slender hand found hers, and he clasped them together. Hermione adjusted them only to interwine their fingers. He rubbed a circle on the back of her hand, and she sighed.

They reached the door, and Draco opened it, the sight of the desks and bookshelves meeting both their sets of eyes. It was so familiar. Hermione entered, and Draco grabbed both her sides, bringing her close to him. He leaned against the wall, and she rested her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. It calmed her down, and she stayed there for a couple minutes, Draco stroking her hair.

He lifted her head up to his, and he dropped a kiss on her lips. She giggled, and kissed him back, longer this time. It was so sweet, so careful, that she didn't want it to end.

Draco kissed Hermione and she sighed. She would give anything to stay this way, in the empty classroom, in the middle of the night. She felt so safe in his arms. It felt good, right.

"Draco?" Hermione whispered.

He looked at her with love. Playing with her fingers, he breathed, "Yeah?"

Hermione took a deep breath. This was it. "I...uh..."

Draco kissed her forehead gently. "It's okay, I won't judge. Say it."

"I love you." Hermione said tentatively, dropping her gaze to the floor. She didn't know what he would say.

He cupped her chin in his palm and brought it up to his face, forcing her to meet his bright blue eyes. And what came out of his mouth was the best thing ever.

"I love you too."

Hermione gasped, and pulled away. "I swear that's exactly what happened! In my dream, you were there, and--I--I'm going crazy!"

Draco tried to hug her, to reassure her. But she jerked her hands away, retreating to the other side of the classroom.

"Draco, I can't. I can't do this. I'm losing my mind. There's something wrong with me! You're falling for a psycho!"

She stayed in the corner, and Draco tried again, more fierce than before. He rested his hands on her sides, and she tried to squirm away, but he was stronger. He lifted her into the air, spinning her around, and she giggled, her worry gone temporarily. He saw the love in her eyes, and slowly brought her down, back to the ground, and Hermione slipped her hands behind his neck, clasping them together.

"Did that happen?" Draco said softly, already knowing the answer.

"No," Hermione said. She grinned, a sparkle in her eyes.

"See," he started, "You're not crazy. You're special. Beautiful." He chuckled at the red glow in her cheeks.

Suddenly, without warning, Hermione jumped into Draco's arms, her legs on either side of him, his strong arms holding her up. She put her hands on either side of his face, and she leaned in. She kissed him, and he could almost taste the relief flooding through her. He leaned her against a wall, and they stayed there, kissing.

He broke off the kiss, and Hermione sank down from the wall to the floor. Her hair was out of place, and she fixed it. Reaching up to fix Draco's hair, he brought her other hand to his lips and gave it a kiss. She smiled, the one that she knew Draco loved.

"I love you," he said, getting ready to leave the classroom; the night was almost over.

"I love you, too," Hermione replied, meaning it fully.

She couldn't wait for them to meet again.