2. Searching

Draco

He knew that she was happy, he knew that she had a job at Hogwarts, but he didn't know where she was. Now that the year was over, he didn't know where she lived, or how he could reach her. It scared him to the core to think about the possibility that she forgot about their agreement that long year ago. He couldn't stop thinking about her and the idea of her married, falsely happy. He would get her back, he would make her fall in love with him again. He'd do it a thousand times if needed.

He sat at the kitchen table in Malfoy Manor, sulking. His mother served him soup, and he ate it, only leaving when he couldn't deal with the deafening silence anymore. She had been kind to him, but urged him gently to find love in someone else, as it seemed that it would never work to any outsider. But to him, that was only more reason to find Hermione. It was his first and final priority.

"I'm going out," he said briskly as he swung a jacket over his shoulder and approached the large wooden door. "I'll be back late tonight."

His mother appeared at the doorway close to the kitchen. "Where are you going, Draco?"

His voice  was distant and seemed to only put Narcissa more on edge. "I have something to do. It'll be okay, I promise. I just need some time to think."

It sounded as if she trusted her son; she nodded her head and shooed him out of the estate. "You can't fool me, Draco. Go find her. I know you love her; go get her."

Draco was grateful for the kind and encouraging words he received from his mother, and kissed her cheek in farewell. When he stepped out into the sunlight, he squinted the brightness away and prepared to apparate to Diagon Alley. He had to start somewhere.

The streets were busy as usual, but not nearly as crowded as it was right before term began. Many adult wizards and witches rushed in and out of Gringotts, their cloaks bustling rapidly. Draco began his search by quietly strolling down the cobblestone street, peering into the shops lined up beside each other on the street. His heart was hopeful, determined to find Hermione Granger in one of the stores, perhaps looking for him, too?

It had been a couple of hours before he decided to give up. Either she was never here, or he missed her. But he had to keep trying, he knew that. He wouldn't give up, he wouldn't accept defeat. So, he gripped his wand and this time disappeared to Hogsmeade. It was less busy than Diagon Alley, but that was only because mostly students at Hogwarts visited Hogsmeade. Now only a few large groups of wizards and witches occupied the streets.

He tried Honeydukes first, assuming that she was there with Potter. He knew that she loved the sweets that they sold there, so why wouldn't she go there? But when he peered through the window, he couldn't spot her. The store was filled with young kids, but the bushy hair of his love could not be found.

Then he heard it.

It was a giggle, a carefree sound that it seemed he was deaf to for such a long time. He listened closely, and it was coming from behind him, in the Three Broomsticks. He turned, hurrying into the cafeteria. He knew that laugh, he could practically see her already.

And there she was, Hermione Granger, her back to him. She was sitting at a table with Potter, which he expected, as he knew they were very good friends. But on the other side of her, he saw the slimy rat, Ron Weasley. And he was holding her hand. Did she leave him for that idiot? It seemed to choke him, just the sight of the golden trio having a good time without him. It was as if she didn't remember him.

Harry, who was sitting across Hermione, sobered when he saw Draco. Crushed, he turned to leave, but not before he saw Potter look pointedly at Hermione and jerk his head in his direction. She whirled around, and jumped out of her chair, the light in her eyes evident. He had wished to see that again, and now he was. She weaved through the thick crowd and reached him, crashing into his chest, jumping and wrapping her legs around his middle. He held her up, chuckling at her young spirit.

"Draco," she breathed, beaming.

"Miss me?" He said, completely forgetting about the two boys sitting at the table. Completely forgetting about the deadly and dangerous look that Weasley was giving him.

Hermione nodded vigorously and crushed her lips to his, her fingers twirling his once-decent hair. Now it flopped on his head, curly and mussed up, but he didn't mind in the slightest. She could do the explaining later, and so could he. Everything had changed, yet it was all the same. And right now, he only wanted Hermione Granger.