9. Introductions

Draco

It had been six months since that day at the hospital. Hermione was due any day now. He'd been seeing her regularly, about once every weekend. Rose seemed accustomed to seeing him, and it looked to him that she enjoyed his company. As for Hermione, she needed him the most. She said that Harry and Ginny were taking care of her, but she wanted him there, that she enjoyed every second if his visits. That made him want to be there everyday, but he couldn't do that. Not yet, at least. He had work to do.

He wanted to be prepared for the future, and besides, he wanted to be of use somewhere, not just sitting at home, giving his mother more time to find him a wife. He already knew that his wife was Hermione, he just needed to show his mother that he loved her, he couldn't marry someone he didn't love like he did her.

It was time for his visit, and when he woke up, he grinned, but he thought hard. He should do it, but he didn't know what his mother would do, how she'd react. It worried him to the point of flinging his arm over his face, not wanting to go through with it. But he couldn't just not show up, Hermione would get worried herself, and then shed get mad, and he knew what he did when she was mad, especially at him.

So he got up and dressed, telling his mother that he'd be back soon.

"Skipping out on a day of work?" She said, sipping a cup of tea.

He shook his head. She didn't know about his weekly visits to Hermione, she just thought that he went to work every day of the week.

"No," he said, taking a deep breath. "I'm bringing someone home."

His mother widened her eyes. "You're bringing a girl home? Oh, Draco, I'm sorry I pushed you into a relationship with that young Astoria. If I had only known--"

"Well now you do, so everything is okay and forgiven. I'll just go then." Draco turned briskly and escaped the awkward conversation by getting as far away as he could from the Malfoy Manor and then apparating to Godric's Hollow, in search of Hermione.

"Oh, hello, Malfoy," Harry said tensely. He still wasn't used to Draco and Hermione being a "couple," as he put it.

"Can I talk to Hermione?"

He nodded and called for her, and soon after, a very pregnant Hermione hobbled to the door. "Hey, Drake," she said, using the nickname she'd given him.

"I know this is a lot to ask you," he said, gesturing to her swollen belly, "but I'd like you to meet my mother. Properly, as my...well, whatever I can call you."

"How about a very close friend? We'll start there," Hermione suggested and put her hands on her hips.

Draco smiled and offered her a hand. "Then, if you please, I'd love to take my very close friend to meet my mother."

Hermione took it and closed the door behind her, following him slowly to the street. "Apparating gets harder as my belly grows," she comments, patting her stomach.

"Do you want to walk? It's not too far. Or I could conjure up a wagon, we could have a romantic ride over," he added the latter with a smirk, revealing a bit of his old self.

Hermione laughed. "No, I'm fine. It'll be okay."

"Are you sure?"

Hermione stared at him with a look that said, trust me. "I'll be fine, I promise. Besides, I trust you."

Draco, blushing in the slightest, held her hand and took a deep breath. If this went wrong, if she got hurt, there would be no one to blame but himself. He couldn't mess up.

The apparating was easy for him but he looked at Hermione immediately, hoping she was okay. She smiled. "See?" She said, "I told it'd be okay. You don't have to worry about me."

"It won't stop me, though," he mumbled, shaking his head and grinning. This woman would surely be the death of him.

She took his hand and squeezed it. "Come on, very close friend, I'd love to meet your mother."

Draco nodded, leading her to the house. When he opened the door, his mother was nowhere in sight, but the large entryway was noticeably cleaner. She'd obviously wanted to make a good first impression.

"I'll try not to think about the last time I was here," Hermione said in a low, quiet voice.

Draco swallowed uncomfortably.

"Sorry, I don't get rid of bad memories very easily. But I'm willing to make a good one today." She looked over at him and kissed his cheek.

"Draco, is this who you're bringing? I didn't expect her." Narcissa entered the large room, her steps faltering when she saw Hermione, the girl that was tortured in that very room, with the foul word "Mudblood" etched in her flesh.

Hermione tried to smile. "Hello, Mrs. Malfoy, how are you?"

She attempted to cover up her rudeness and extended her hand. "Sorry for my impolite manner. It's good to see you, I hope we can forget our pasts." Looking at her stomach, she whirled at Draco. "You didn't tell me you're having a child!"

Draco shifted nervously. "Um, it's actually not mine. The baby belongs to Ron Weasley."

"I was married to him," Hermione explained hastily, "but I didn't feel the same. I still loved Draco, I hadn't gotten over him from that time when we left Hogwarts. So when he found me, well, he was there to comfort me, and he's fantastic with Rose, she just loves him."

Draco blushed furiously. "Er, yeah."

His mother looked stunned, but delighted. "Draco, I'm so proud of you! You may have had your differences, but you always go after what you want, that's what I've always loved about you. Congratulations, Draco, dear." She pulled him into a hug, and he was surprised at how understanding and accepting she was about the whole deal. Maybe it was a change. Maybe it had changed for the better.

Without warning, Hermione groaned, grasping her stomach. Draco looked at her, worried. "I knew he'd be coming soon," she grunted.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Draco held her in her spot, making sure she wouldn't fall over.

She brought her eyes up to him. "The baby's coming."