Chapter 10

"Dear Journal,

I don't even know where to start. 

I didn't think I would have to run away from my brother, but I'm scared of what he might do to me if he or the guards catch up to me. He may be my brother, but he still has a strong arm for justice and I don't think he cares about our relationship when it comes down to how much I messed things up. He probably hates me now. Why else would he have locked me up originally before Cross broke me out?

I don't want to take any kind of risks, it's not worth it. As much as I love Dream, I... need to keep running. If he doesn't end up punishing me for what I did, the villagers and everyone else in this au definitely will when they find out what happened. I don't really have a plan or a place I'm trying to get to right now but... I'm sure we'll figure it out. We have to. 

I'm sure we'll find a place sooner or later, or maybe we're just bound to be on the run for forever, I just hope that the friends I've made so far will stick around. I'm not sure how much I trust everyone yet, but if I want the help, I'm going to have to take a few risks. 

I don't have much time to keep writing because the others are starting to wake up and we have to get moving again soon, plus I don't want anyone else reading this. 

I'll update this again soon, hopefully, once we're able to find another place to settle down and rest for a bit. 

See you soon,

-Nightmare" 

As Night closed the cover of his journal he began to hear the sound of the others waking up and beginning to move around, making him take his attention off of himself and focusing on the skeleton sitting next to him, who had very obviously been a restless sleeper, considering how messed up all of his bedding was. Not that there was much of it, but what was there, was completely scattered all over his side of the tent. 

He knew Cross and Error were already up and beginning to pack based on the sounds of the constant crunching of the snow outside, alongside the hushed whispers of their voices. He couldn't make out what they were saying, but that didn't matter because before he could start to even attempt to focus on the words coming from them, Ink spoke up beside him. "Good morning." 

Night brought his attention back to the colourful skeleton, rubbing his eye slightly and hugging his journal close to his ribcage. "Morning." He returned, shifting to place his journal and pen back in the safety of his cloak's inside pocket. "Did you sleep well?"

"I could have slept better." Ink spoke up with a small huff, pausing for a moment before continuing to speak and beginning to gather his own things, falling under the assumption that they should get moving again soon. "But I could have slept worse, too. Took me forever to finally be able to get comfortable with that set-up." 

"Couldn't you have like..." Night pauses for another moment, beginning to fold the blankets he'd used to keep himself warm overnight. "Made yourself a better set-up or something? You literally painted the campfire last night, didn't you?" He questions, shivering slightly. Despite the fact that he'd attempted to keep himself warm with the blankets overnight, he still felt a chill that ran deep in his bones. He definitely wasn't used to the cold that this part of the universe had to offer, back by the tree it was always warm, outside of a few days in the winter. Otherwise the Tree of Feelings wouldn't be able to grow properly. 

"Yeah, but I wanted the real experience." Ink insisted in a semi-whiny voice. "Camping is no fun if you make everything easy for yourself!" 

This isn't meant to be fun. Night thought to himself, but he bit back the comment, instead choosing to remain silent and continuing to pack up his things. He didn't really have too many personal belongings, so he was able to gather everything in almost no time. Without another word he carried everything out, returning all of the bedding to the bag the group had put it in before and making sure everything was secure on the horses.