*ೃ༄ 1 ༄ೃ*

I never believed that I belonged to the place where I called home

I never believed that I belonged to the place where I called home. I should feel lucky to be in the city, they say the war was terrible. That the rest of the world was destroyed. Our founders built the wall to keep us safe and they divided us into five groups called factions to keep the peace. 

The first faction is Abnegation, everyone would call them the 'stiffs.' They lead a simple life, selfless, dedicated to helping others, they even feed the factionless, the ones who don't fit in anywhere. They are responsible for running the government as they are public servants. 

Amity farms the land, they are all about kindness and harmony, always happy. 

Candor values honesty and order, they tell the truth, even when you wish they wouldn't, and then there is dauntless, they are our protectors, our soldiers, the police. From an early age to even now I always thought they were amazing. They were brave, fearless and free. Some people think dauntless are crazy... which they kind of are. 

But lastly, you have my faction, Erudite. We are separated into the smart ones, the ones who value knowledge and logic. We are known to know everything. Our intelligence is viewed as a benefit and not to the detriment of society, almost like a gift that must be wielded not as a weapon but as a tool for the betterment of others.

These factions have been able to stand for centuries and people believe that it works, everyone knows where they belong, what they value most. Well, everyone expect for me.

My brother says, 'there is an art in losing yourself,' but I haven't figured it out yet. I'm supposed to never think of myself, to always use my logic over my emotions but it's difficult to when you never feel like you can fit in.

I sit in a dull light grey bedroom, with the blinds slightly open to let a bit of light in to see, I'm opposite a mirror as my mum cuts my hair. Each strand falls to the floor lightly. Although my mother does her best in looking after both my brother and I, I have never felt so close yet distant to her until now.

I was six when my dad left and died. I don't remember much of him, but the things I do remember about him were nothing but pure joyful memories. I don't think of him often, too much time has gone by to dwell on him.... That's what my mother said at least.

"Are you nervous?" My mum questions as she hands me a brush.

I look up to the mirror and look at my mum, I take the brush from her where I stroke each brown strand into a ponytail, "No." I inhaled deeply.

"Were you for your test?" I asked her.

"Mm-Mm. No. I knew where I belonged." My mother confidently spoke, straightening her posture.

I stiffened from her response. Am I supposed to feel and know what faction I belong to?

I turned back to face where my mother was, but she was gone. Probably doing leader duties. My mum is the leader of Erudite. Jeanine Matthews, her morals are set, she never had a single worry like this before. She just knew, and in the same way as my brother, Parker did when he made his decision just two years ago. He followed in my mother's footsteps, he inspired to have the same knowledge and power as she had, and despite both me and my brother sharing great knowledge, I did not want to follow the same path. I couldn't.