3. Guns and Ships

So her magic contained healing properties. That was one of the things that HYDRA had tested her for. She remembered being thrown inside of a large white room with nothing but a man bleeding out in front of her.

It was a test for her skills, and she was glad to find that she could repair people. She didn't exactly have healing magic, but she could fix broken bones and grow and expand blood cells inside of people depending on how much blood they had lost.

She saved that HYDRA agent's life, fixing his broken bones and restoring his blood flow. But she'd only ever done that to him.

She'd healed up Pietro's broken bones from his testing. He'd run too fast, right into a wall and break something nearly every other day. Wanda was grateful she had that ability, but she also knew that the ability could inflict pain.

Bones breaking were harmful enough, but snapping them back into place? That was a dreadful feeling, or so she assumed from the groans in agony that Pietro would make.

But now she was being thrown into the field, not as a fighter but as a "healer". She didn't feel safe.

She walked into the jet, sitting down next to Simmons since, aside from Gonzalez and his assistant, she was the only person Wanda recognized.

"Quinjet-36, final systems check. We are a go." May's voice spoke into the jet.

Wanda sat down, buckling herself into the seat like she had the first time she rode one of these jets. Simmons watched her carefully, smiling when she saw that Wanda had done it correctly.

"Quinjet-37, ready for lift off."

"Quinjet-38, clear for take off."

Wanda heard the other two ship captains keeping in touch.

"Have you done a mission like this before?" She asked. She didn't sound like she was trying to interrogate, only like she was interested.

"No. Usually I'm not a healer." Wanda admitted.

"Well hopefully you won't be necessary. You're just here for procautions." Simmons explained. "Me too."

"Yeah, that's what Coulson said." Wanda grimaced as she felt the jet lifting into the air. The feeling made her want to vomit.

Thankfully, that feeling didn't last too long.

The ship flew silently for a good bit, light chatter being filled with agents who were sitting around the plane.

Then Simmons broke the silence between them.

"You have mind reading abilities, correct?" She asked.

"Yeah." Wanda answered.

"Are they by choice or do you often hear things you don't want to?"

Wanda thought for a moment, unsure of how to explain.

"Both. Often, I feel people's general emotions rather than their thoughts. Then if I focus on them and their specific emotion, that's when I heard their thoughts. Other times, usually if I'm not in a great mood, it feels like everyone else's thoughts are trying to find their way into my brain." Wanda attempted to explain.

Can you hear this?

"Yes." Wanda answered Simmons' thought bubble.

"So you're an empath and a mind reader?" She asked, this time out loud.

"Pretty much." Wanda nodded.

Then more silence occured.

That was, until Wanda noticed Gonzalez and his assistant standing, and she just so happened to be in hearing range of their conversation.