12. Proof

"Fitz!"

Wanda turned her head towards the entrance to the room, which was supposed to be blocked off but apparently Fitz broke it open. Mack, Hunter, Bobbi, and Daisy all ran in one after the other, all of them looking quite relieved to see that Fitz had not been taken by the Monolith like Simmons.

"Dammit, Fitz." Coulson said, walking into the room after the rest of them.

"I had to know.." Fitz muttered. "I had to know."

"I already lost Simmons to that thing, I cannot afford to lose you too." Coulson said, using his robotic hand to firmly shut the glass now that Wanda's magic was off of it.

"You trying to get yourself killed?" Hunter asked, breathing out a sigh.

"Sorry." Fitz said, putting a hand against his face. "I won't give up. I can't give up."

"None of us want to, Fitz." Daisy said. "But.." Her voice trailed off.

"Fitz," Bobbi put a hand on his shoulder but Fitz quickly brushed it off. "You tried. Okay? You tried your hardest. Everybody knows that."

"No, I've missed something." Fitz stated, looking down at his hands. "I'm.. I've missed something." Fitz repeated before he recognized some specks of dirt on his fingers. He brushed his fingers together, his eyes widening slightly.

"What is that?" Bobbi asked, looking at the dirt.

"Proof."

And before any of them could say anything further, Fitz had hurried out of the room. Most likely to the lab to check out whatever was on him. So the group made their way that way.

.

"Sand." Fitz told them. "Not just sand, impossible sand."

They stood around Coulson's room while Fitz displayed images of what he found. Wanda didn't exactly understand the images cause they were of small crystals and different color schemes. Science wasn't really her thing.

"The Monolith's case is a clean room." Mack stated. "There's nothing in there but that rock, not even dust."

"Unless you blast it open with a shotgun and contaminate everything." Hunter replied.

"That's not what this is." Bobbi said back.

"Okay, the sand itself, not unusual. Mostly silicon dioxide particles. Just like on Earth." Fitz cut them off.

"But you're saying this sand is not from Earth?" Coulson asked.

Bobbi started, "Sir, carbon dating shows that-"

"It predates the Earth by a billion years." Fitz finished.

There was a moment of silence and Wanda gave a slight smile. Fitz was figuring it out. They were going to find Simmons.

"So you think this rock is a portal?" Daisy asked.

"No. No I'm proving that it's a portal." Fitz answered. "Okay? To another planet. A very old planet. A crack in space-time that carried Simmons away and carried the sand back. Which means.."

"She's still out there." Wanda finished his sentence.

Fitz nodded slightly.

"But it's been months." Coulson said, worry in his tone.

"Yeah." Fitz turned his head to the director.

"She could be long gone from wherever this thing dropped her." Coulson continued.

"Yeah." Fitz turned his head back to the screen.

"She could be dead." Coulson said slowly.

Fitz turned back around and raised his arms before dropping them back down.