|\Chapter 4/|

Northkit found herself nestled under the sheltering embrace of a small bush, losing herself in the embrace of her thoughts. However, her daydreams were abruptly interrupted by the arrival of Whistlekit and his littermate, Smokekit a light-blue tom.

"Hey, Northkit!" Smokekit beamed, his wide eyes filled with anticipation. Northkit acknowledged them with a polite greeting before their conversation unfolded.

"There will be a gathering tonight!" Whistlekit announced, excitement evident in his voice.

"A gathering? Tonight, on the full moon?" Northkit responded, her curiosity piqued.

"Yep! It's such a shame we can't go," Smokekit lamented, his expression crestfallen. "The camp will feel empty without us."

"Come on, Northkit!" Whistlekit urged a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Northkit hesitated, a sense of caution pulling at her. "Are you sure sneaking out of camp is a good idea?"

"Why not? It'll be fun, and we'll be back before anyone notices!" Smokekit argued, his enthusiasm infectious.

Caught between curiosity and uncertainty, Northkit reluctantly agreed. The three kits stealthily made their way down the steep slope, their tiny paw steps crunching lightly on the melting snow. But as they ventured further, Northkit's keen senses caught a distant scent in the air.

"Guys, stop," Northkit whispered urgently, her ears perking up.

"What is it?" Whistlekit inquired, his voice tinged with concern.

"I smell. . . a patrol!" Northkit warned, her voice barely audible.

"Quick, get down!" she urged, crouching low to the ground. Whistlekit and Smokekit followed suit, their eyes peering out from the safety of the bush. Northkit observed the border patrol returning towards camp, led by Mistleleap with Kestrelpelt, Silverfeather, and Junipertail following closely behind.

"Should we go?" Northkit whispered, her gaze lingering on the retreating figures of the warriors. Suddenly, a voice pierced the silence from behind them.

"What are you three doing out of camp?" The kits turned to face Junipertail, one of the Clan's senior warriors. His eyes narrowed as he approached them, his gaze fixed on Northkit.

Before she could react, Junipertail's jaws firmly gripped her scruff, lifting her from the ground. "Let's get you back to camp," he mewed, his tone stern and disappointed. The two toms, Whistlekit and Smokekit, followed silently behind, their tails drooping with guilt.

As they returned to the camp entrance, Cloudpuddle's panicked voice rang through the air. Northkit could sense the fear in her mother's scent and hear the rush of paw steps as the Clan searched for the missing kits. "Northkit!" Lightwhisper's yowl pierced through the chaos as they neared the entrance.

"They're here!" Junipertail called out, setting Northkit gently on the ground. The three kits raced towards their mothers, relief washing over the cats as the missing kits were found. Lightwhisper nuzzled Northkit's flank, her worry evident.

"Where were you?" Echokit doubted, his muzzle pressed against Northkit's flank in concern. "We searched everywhere for you!" Sheepkit rasped, his voice laced with relief and worry.

Amidst the commotion, Shiveringstar approached, accompanied by Smokekit and Whistlekit. "I need to talk to you three," her voice carried a calm yet firm tone. Northkit nodded slightly, her ears flattening against her head.

Once inside the Leader's den, Shiveringstar addressed them. "Why did you three sneak out of camp? Do you realize the dangers that lurk in the forest?" Her voice remained calm, but her gaze held a mixture of disappointment and anger. "As punishment, you will be confined to the nursery den for a quarter-moon. Understood?"

The three kits nodded, their guilt palpable. Though they felt a pang of remorse, they accepted their punishment. "Very well, off you go," Shiveringstar dismissed them, her gaze lingering on them with a sigh.

And so, the trio returned to the nursery den, Sheepkit questioning, "What's wrong, Northkit?"

"Shiveringstar has confined me, Whistlekit, and Smokekit to the nursery for a quarter-moon," Northkit grumbled, frustration evident in her voice as she observed Whistlekit and Smokekit already making their way toward the den.

=========

I have to admit, the rewritings getting together.