+|Chapter 27|+

Sunlight skimmed on the plants and ground, tossing shadows from the blocked light. Two apprentices had already filled most of the pile in one night, sharing tongues near the fresh kill pile. Both already tired, out of the corner of Northpaw's eye, she saw flame-coloured fur exiting the Warrior den she recognized as Sagewing, stretching out his limbs for the Dawn patrol.  

Following suit was Sleepingleaf, a smoky she-cat, the young warrior, Dovelake, and lastly, her mother, Lightwhisper, followed, squeezing through the gap of the den. Northpaw got up steadily, licking Whistlepaw's ear goodbye as she strolled to her mom, greeting her affectionately as Lightwhisper halted and returned the greeting. "Oh, my kit! You're so grown up now, how are you doing?" The light-red warrior nuzzled into her grown apprentice.

Northpaw chuckled a bit, her mother's scent brought her back to her kittenhood. And after that moment, she leaned backwards from her caregiver, looking up at her to see her warm gaze. "I've heard about that conflict you've done with Creek and Cerulean, why did you do it?" Those words caught the teal-eyed apprentice off guard, ones that she didn't want to hear for a while.

The sudden change in mood disturbed her.

She looked away in shame in front of her mother, "I didn't mean to, I just... over-reacted?" Lightwhisper sighed loudly, and Northpaw tensed, flattening her ears. She mumbled incoherently, not audible for hearing reach. 

The light-red she-cat touched Northpaw's head with her nose, and the silvery-blue feline looked up, only to see Lightwhisper droop the corners of her mouth. "You are overwhelmed, I noticed, and you have distanced yourself a bit from your friends and siblings." 

"Mom, I got out of control, I didn't mean to hurt the she-cat I just..." Her mouth quivered, "Northpaw, your tail is swaying, are you lying?" Lightwhisper said calmly, Northpaw could make out another tone in her mother's voice, though her mind raced with other thoughts.

She managed to keep her tail steady, before replying to the light-red warrior, "I'm not lying, Mom. I promise-" Before she could even say the last words the smoky she-cat called out, "Lightwhisper! The borders aren't going to look after themselves!" Sleepingleaf called out. Lightwhisper gave her child a sympathetic look, before touching noses with her. She turned her heel and paced towards her smoky-colored friend.

"Northpaw, are you okay?" Whistlepaw's voice rang out, bringing her out of her thoughts. Her expression flashed an agonized look before she gave a small smile. "I am, haha... no need to worry about me, pal." Northpaw's eye twitched.