\-\Chapter 17/-/

It was the next dawn, Northpaw was getting ready by the camp entrance, stretching herself for the day.

"Let's go," Kestrelpelt implied, twitching his tail for her to heed.

The fresh aromas of prey and others, lingered just for Northpaw to seize and slaughter.

"We will learn hunting soon, you haven't known the whole territory because of the previous Incident." Kestrelpelt's tone was filled with caution and certainty.

"Oh," Northpaw remarked frankly, implying with a bit of dismay. "I can teach you hunting tactics after the tour, we only have scoured MandevillaClan's borders and the deserted two-leg nest. You can doubt if we are going to continue hunting or not, we have restricted time."

The two resumed the outing, scouting Reed Hollow, Caiquecrest's tree, and SequioaClan's boundary. They were going to go to VireoClan's boundary next. Northpaw grew bored and anxious, it was sun high already.

"Well, that's the territory, we're going to practice hunting while we can." Kestrelpelt grinned, and his apprentice perked up. "Finally!" She hopped around in delight as Kestrelpelt mewed; "The other apprentices are training there."

As they closed the training foundations, Northpaw spotted other apprentices already in motion. Echopaw, Hickorypaw, and the others were fully engaged in their training, stalking and pouncing on imaginary prey or perfecting their crouches and leaps.

Kestrelpelt motioned for Northpaw to follow him, directing her to a secluded zone where they could concentrate on their training without distractions. "Alright, Northpaw, let's begin with the basics. Watch your surroundings. Look for cues of prey — new scents, disturbed foliage, anything that could display their presence."

Northpaw nodded, her eyes surveying the undergrowth, and her nose twitching to reap up any scents. She detected the faint fragrance of a rabbit nearby and the sweet smell of a vole not too far off. Excitement lapped inside her as she learned how attuned her senses were evolving.

"Good," Kestrelpelt praised. "Now, move silently and cautiously. Carry your time, and recall to head your breathing. Patience is critical."

Northpaw followed her mentor's advice, carefully placing each paw and making sure to avoid stepping on dry twigs that could give her presence away. She inched closer to the scent of the rabbit, her heart pounding with anticipation.

When she felt she was close enough, Northpaw crouched low, her muscles coiled and ready to spring. With a burst of energy, she launched herself forward, aiming for the imaginary rabbit with precision.

Kestrelpelt nodded approvingly. "Great form, Northpaw! You're a natural. Keep practicing, and your hunting knacks will only get more suitable."

They spent the rest of the day honing Northpaw's hunting techniques. She learned how to incorporate into her surroundings, and how to estimate the length for the perfect spring. With each shot, she grew more assured, her motions fluid and agile. Though what she didn't get was how to approach from different angles, she would keep trying. As the sun formed to set, they returned to camp, tired but glad with the day's training. 

===

Hello.

Published: Aug 2, 2023

Edited: April 1, 2024