Chapter 5: Red Velvet Shirt

One of the heavy mahogany doors slowly creaked open.

Nicole dried her tears and looked frightened at the door.

Boots as ashen as the withered plants around her carefully approached.

The boots quickly hid behind dark pants as the person kneeled down and the pants soon were overshadowed by a puffy red velvet shirt.

The person spoke softly, but hoarse and their voice faltered at every R sound. "Are you alright?"

"I'm not," Nicole said. "I've been kidnapped twice, I'm cold, I feel lost and I can't wake up from this frigging nightmare!"

Snoth slithered down her face and her cheeks and eyes were as puffy and red at the velvet shirt the person was wearing.

The person aahed and quickly grabbed a clean white handkerchief. "Here you are," they said. Their voice was as soothing as honey for a sore throat. "Take this. I have plenty."

They then unbottened their shirt, revealing a white undershirt with ridiculously huge stuffed shoulders.

They gently laid the red velvet shirt over Nicole. "And this will keep you warm."

The red velvet shirt was made of so much fabric that without the stuffed shoulders underneath, Nicole could easily use it as a sleeping bag.

She snifled. "Thanks," she said.

The person gave her a soft smile. They got up and walked to the huge gothic window. They hovered their hand over the cracks in the glass. "Now I might not be able to do much about this cold," they said. "It's mother's doing after all... But I can let you use my secret hideout, if you want to."

They looked at Nicole and gave her a sad smile. "It's nothing much, really, but it will keep you warm."

They gently picked up one of the withered flowers. "Let's see if we can help you today," they said as they cradled the flower pot in their arms and walked across the room.

They waved their hand near the wall and murmured: "Flesruoy wohs."

The bricks slid aside and a golden glow gently warmed the cold stone floor.

Nicole was equally frustrated, shocked and intrigued. On one hand she wanted to find out what that warm glow was, but on the other hand she wasn't yet quite finished feeling miserable.

She watched as the person vanished into the golden light and half-heartedly expected the warm glow to dissappear as soon as they had vanished, but no matter how long she waited, the light was there to stay.

Her fascination took control and she slowly got up.

The red velvet shirt trailed behind her. The cold tiles stung her bare feet with every step she took, but she was determined to bask in the golden light.

The closer she came to the light, the warmer she felt and the moment a ray of light touched her skin, she dissappeared.