Chapter 9: Stranger

Rocket hopped in front of Nicole. "So," Rocket said, "there's something you need to know before meeting your father."

Nicole looked doubtfully at Rocket. "I know he has at least one more child," zhe said.

Rocket nodded. "And that's the reason why he fell into depression years ago. The kids and I have been handling Christmas ever since.

But he's doing worse now. He's fallen into the Abyss of Despair and doesn't want to come out anymore.

That's why I tracked you down, hoping you can get him out."

Nicole scrunched zheir nose and pursed zheir lips. "How should I be able to get him out? I don't even know him, but you on the other hand..."

"Trust me, if I could have gotten him out, I would have done so years ago. But sometimes it's easier to talk to a stranger than to a friend."

"And I'm that stranger?"

Rocket nodded.

"Why not go for another stranger?"

"I would have done that if I could, I would have helped him out and shown you the guy he was before this all in a heartbeat, but no one else has inherited his ability to withstand the frost. I've searched Earth over and over again, but you are the only one."

"What about Elsa or Jack Frost?"

Rocket raised an eyebrow. "They come from the North and are good with minor freezing temperatures, but they can't withstand Artic temperatures, I'm afraid. We've tried, we truly have, but they weren't even able to come close."

"What about Ruby? She's his daughter too."

Rocket stopped and looked Nicole in the eye. "You know what happened there. Do you think she's the solution to what her mother has caused? I doubt it. Besides, from what I can tell, she takes more after her mother magic wise."

"You can't blame a child for what their parent did. Ruby is kind and strong. She warmed me when I felt cold and she saved me when I was in danger. If there's anyone out there who can save our father, it must be her."

Rocket shook his head. "That's unlikely, Nicole. Ruby doesn't even believe in herself."

"Because nobody believes in her.

Everyone has made up their mind about her. Her mother, the village, even you. You've all gotten into her head. Why else would she have said she was an unwanted child if she hasn't even met our father?!

Well, I believe in her and if you'd all do too, you'd realize all the greatness she's capable of. Let's ask her to join us to this Abyss of Despair."

"It will only cause more harm than good," Rocket said.

"We'll see."