Chapter 11: Raging

Ruby and Nicole followed Rocket to the Depths of Despair.

As they traveled, the meadows filled with dancing wildflowers turned into lone tundra and soon their path was covered in snow.

As they traveled farther up North, the tundra made place for lifeless trees covered in ice, warning them of the agony ahead and begging them to turn back while they still had the chance. This was no place for the living.

When their breath turned into popsicles, Rocket leaned against a tree for support. He breathed heavily."This is it for me," Rocket said. "I can't come any farther. It's too cold."

Ruby took off her padded shoulder shirt and wrapped Rocket in it. "Here, dad, this will keep you warm."

"Thank you, Ruby." Rocket hugged Ruby. "Now you go meet your father. I'm proud of you for having made it this far and I know you'll be able to talk some sense into him. You've got this." Rocket glanced at Nicole and nodded. "The both of you."

Rocket snuggled in the layers and layers of warm cloth. "See that snow storm over there? Your father is in the middle of it. Go now. I'll wait here for you.

No matter how long it takes, I'll wait for you. The both of you."

Nicole nodded and gestured Ruby to get going.

Nicole and Ruby had barely left as the snow melted under Rocket's feet and flowers started to bloom.

The tree he leaned against slowly but steadily filled with life.

|✮|🌺|✮|

When they reached the snow storm, Ruby swallowed. "It's raging! We'll never make it to the other side..."

Nicole took Ruby's hand. "Hold on tightly," zhe said. "I need you the most right now, sis. Let's tackle this together."

Ruby took a deep breath and followed Nicole into the snow storm.

The raging winds pushed Nicole back. Zhe shrieked as zhe was blown away by its forced.

Ruby held on tightly to Nicole, buried her heels in the snow and commanded the life underneath to keep her grounded.

"Thgil fo Dliiehs!" she yelled and a golden ball of light shielded both Ruby and Nicole from the raging storm.

Snow melted in the ball of light and flowers started to bloom.

Nicole shrieked as zhe fell down to Earth, but dancing wildflowers cradled zhem and gently laid zhem down in the small patch of grass.

Ruby kneeled down next to zhem. "Are you alright?"

Nicole blinked zheir eyes as zhe processed what just happened. "I think I am," zhe said as zhe looked at Ruby. "Thank you."

"It isn't me you should thank," Ruby softly said. "The flowers were the ones who caught you."

Nicole laid zheir hand on Ruby's shoulder. "They wouldn't have been able to catch me if you wouldn't have helped them come to life, sis. So, thank you."

Ruby looked away, smiled and nodded. "Let's go find father," she said.