12

As the summer heat waned, it seemed Lily was more restless than Alfie was. She pestered him with questions about politics and London. She wasn't content with him brushing her off and Alfie knew she was losing sleep.

More often than not, he felt her tossing and turning in bed next to him. No amount of comfort would soothe her, even in his arms she felt uneasy. She told him everything was fine, but Alfie knew she was stressing herself out over the news. He just didn't know what her end goal was. 

~~~~

After taking another post-dinner telephone call, Alfie climbed the stairs up to the bedroom, grateful to be done with the conversation about London and Tommy.

Argos was asleep in his bed in the corner. The sheepdog woke when Alfie entered the bedroom. His head lifted and his tail wagged.

Lily was sitting up in bed, there was a book on her lap but she was preoccupied with looking out the window. The moon was full, its intense glow casting a beam of light over the quiet ocean.

"Getting late," Alfie remarked, disrupting the quiet. "Didn't even think you'd still be up." 

"Hm?" Lily snapped out of her daze. "Oh, yes." She marked the page in her book and set it aside on the nightstand.

Alfie got ready for bed, noticing how Lily was waiting for him. "Got something on your mind, love?"

"The man you talk to over the telephone...is he an old friend?"

"Ollie?" He went to open up another window. "He were my assistant at the bakery." He explained. "Nowadays, he keeps me updated on things I might need to know. But he's retired like me, doesn't get his hands dirty anymore."

"You seem to like him." Lily knew that Alfie seldom spoke nicely about people from his past. It seemed he had more enemies than allies. So, at least it was nice to know he had some kind of companionship back then. She hated to think how lonely he was. 

"Yeah, he's a good lad." Alfie sank into bed next to Lily, letting out a sigh as he settled against the pillows.

Lily turned over, hugging Alfie's side and smiling softly as he tugged her snugly against him. It always seemed Alfie was never content with how close she was. He always felt the need to bring her closer no matter what time of day or where they were. "Could I meet him one day?"

Alfie wondered if he had even considered merging the two lives he had. The life he once had in London and the life he now had in Margate with Lily. They seemed incompatible, almost existing on different planes entirely.

Still, he understood the implications of their deepening relationship. For a long time, they had been fine with co-existing alone. But couples often shared their lives with one another. They introduced each other to their friends and families. The latter made Alfie cringe. He was no clean-shaven, polite man who could win over family members. Even if Lily only had her mother, Alfie knew it wouldn't go over well.

Lily hadn't broached the subject of introducing him to her mother. It wasn't like she was keeping him like some shameful secret. But it was just easier to live with Alfie without having to face scrutiny. Many of Lily's friends asked about the new man in her life.

They noted how she had changed so much over the past years. She seemed to have more hope and there was a look in her eyes. Lily knew, however, that Edward knew who Alfie was. And if news got out around town that Alfie was a gangster living amidst them, not only that but now living with shy, lovely Lily, it would cause a scene.