The Wolf

The smell of water and earth enticed the silver-eyed goddess as the wispy winds brushed through her. She had never before felt such glee since that darkness loomed over her. Fireflies glowed with their best, dancing around like the flicks of dying embers.

Athena praised such sight at the river banks. Her smile went from cheek to cheek as the air became sweet with the aroma of gardenias and Olympus flowers. Her restless soul suddenly felt relieved—a sense of security that never in eons she would even gain.

Her mind became innocent, ignorant of the simple scene of greeneries and flowers. And with all the fascinating treasures the Olympic forest could hold, it became something she would fight for. By hook or by crook, she was willing to give up everything she had just to have the peace she was now waltzing in.

Carefree as a bird flying in the air, she danced to the music in the atmosphere. All the creatures seemed to understand the queue and began to circle her like a beautiful tribute at every festival. The goddess's giggles echoed, adding more vibrance to the song of the forest.

"Oh, glory to all beauty!" She sang as she went on twirling like a child by the riverside.

No dreaded emotions, no noise, and disturbance—Athena felt free-spirited and light as she stripped off her cloak and the silky garment that enveloped her milky white skin. She even hummed a song as she tested the waters, rippling afterward from the disturbance of her toes.

The water was all clear, and Athena immediately went down to bathe. Once she felt the lukewarm embrace of the river, her expression turned radiant. The smile on her face was worth immortalizing in a great master's sculpture. Athena was a beautiful sight to behold—with a bare body that was more pronounced compared to those existing effigy of hers. She was every minstrel's dream, with her long curly dark blonde hair flowing like a glistening waterfall. She was the poet's delight when all were tired of wooing Aphrodite. Indeed, the apple of Zeus's eyes and men's secret desire.

The goddess comfortably swam on the crystal-clear waters, letting all her infuriation leave out of her spirit. She combed her tangling hair with her candle-like fingers, and afterward, she cleaned her neck, shoulders, and down both of her arms. But all of a sudden, she felt pain when she began cleaning her bosoms.

"What is happening?" She uttered achily while carefully touching her left breast.

She moaned a little cry, trying not to catch unnecessary attention. Athena slowly swam back to the edge and rested while massaging her aching breasts, which now were slowly deadened.

And in a blink of an eye, her vision began to distort—showing her a fear she never even knew existed. As she looked down at her breasts, her nipples hardened, and some white liquid flowed down from them. She was in disbelief. Athena wiped the odd liquid, took a little closer, and realized it was milk—the same gift mothers gained during conception.

The goddess went delirious. She beetled off from her position and was panting as she set foot on dry land. Athena closed her eyes, calming her labored breaths that forced her heart to beat out of its harmony. She then looked again at her breasts, feeling that the pain already subsided; she then saw that the milk vanished with no trace.

"What was that all about?" She asked herself as she looked around to see if no other gods were lurking and playing tricks on her.

Little did she know that two glowing eyes were watching her behind the dense shadow of the bushes and foliage. It snarled in her direction, showing its sharp teeth and salivating mouth as if craving for something quite alluring like her.

Athena never noticed the stalker sitting some distance from her as she was preoccupied with the open area in front of her. Ceasing this vulnerable moment, the hidden beast slowly emerged from his keep and approached the goddess.

Once a sweep of uncanny air hit her spine and the sound of hysteria of the forest critters, hopping and trotting away, Athena then felt that someone or something was behind her. And sure enough, as she turned her head around, she finally saw him—a wolf so large that he equaled a man standing both on his feet. He looked at her with all intent to exert dominance. The opening of his mouth turned wider while gradually closing the distance between him and her. But Athena, like the brave goddess she was, did move nor exhibit agitation toward the beast. She even turned her whole body, confidently exposing everything of her that no man, not even the deities, ever saw.

"Come now," She gently gestured a hand, offering kindness instead of a fight. "It would be a pity if I hurt you. You seemed out of place amongst these peaceful creatures living here."

Ignoring her sweet call, the wolf went on stalking her as his glares became fierce. His low growl discreetly trembled the earth he was stepping on. The gracious aura Athena portrayed was some kind of acting to him, being careful not to let his guard down.

Somehow, with such a threat the wolf displayed, the goddess never changed her demeanor towards him. Athena then calmly stood from her seat and walked directly at the beast, where she met him eye to eye.

"Alright, alright," She soothed. "I am not here as a threat to you. Calm down now." True to her word, Athena raised her hands as one cupped the wolf's chin while the other brushed the furs on his face.

It was such a surprise for the beast that a thing like kindness was even possible for him to receive. His growl ceased, savoring all the goodness he felt for the first time. No one ever gave this kind of attention, as he thought that a wolf like him deserved only the fear of trembling men and the scowling of the gods. But here is the silver-eyed goddess, showing him the welcome that an old friend usually experienced.

At last, the wolf warmed around her, letting Athena give him more pats and scratches on the head. From a growl, he now excitingly wheezed that he even began licking the goddess's face, making her laugh in delight.

"Oh! Oh! I know—I know you are just a sweet beast inside. Now, why don't you come here and sit with me? The night is too lovely for us to miss."

As they sat on the riverside, Athena then called to the other creatures who got scared of the wolf, assuring them that he was not a danger. The little creatures trusted, and on their little feet, they bravely sat beside the wolf and showed an innocent smile at him—welcoming him into their circle.

In return, the wolf timidly bopped their little noses with his large ones, imprinting their scents as a sign of devotion to each other. Witnessing the beautiful scene beside her, Athena felt accomplished and smiled at them, especially at the once-feared wolf for his increasing compassion.

"See how lovely it is to be friendly to everyone?" She told the beast, who looked at her.