Futile and Candor

"What is there in your hands, Aphrodite?" Athena politely asked, sounding plain but doing her best to be jolly as possible.

"I have this made from the finest silk." The goddess of beauty and love revealed a beautiful gown fit for someone special. "My nymphs created this. I love it, but I know it is too much if I wear it."

Her words made Athena chuckle. "Too much?" She raised a brow at her assertion. "Is there such thing as 'too much' to the most revered goddess in Hellas?"

Aphrodite playfully pouted. "Oh, silly you. Here, wear this. I think this one fits you."

Athena's eyes became a saucer when the dress was pushed to her.

The dress was a work of art. The way the colors pranced when the light hits made it so exquisite. As her palms glided, the fabric was silky like a newly harvested pearl. "My, my! This is a wonderful dress, Aphrodite. Why did you want to give this away?"

Aphrodite grinned, happy to witness Athena's delight on her face. "Well, I have too many dresses. That one may be a beauty, but I know it is not meant for me. I immediately pictured you looking elegant in that. I also have one for Artemis—but she is not here."

The goddess of wisdom took a deep breath, sat on her bed, and gently placed the dress by her side. She guessed that the other reason why Aphrodite visited her was because she wanted her to join the wild feast. "Yes, Artemis is not here." She told her. "We later decided not to join the celebration."

"Why?" Aphrodite was filled with astonishment. "You two agreed to it."

"I knew it." Athena thought—confirming her suspicion of the goddess of love's visit. "Oh—well, it is too much for us. The few hours of sitting and eating yesterday amongst a crowd of ferals were enough for us to decide that we were already done with the feast. I'd rather be alone here." She then went into her loom and started weaving, hoping the other goddess would leave.

But the goddess of love and beauty was stubborn to the core—

Aphrodite might felt defeated, but she was eager to bring Athena to the ballroom and socialize with everyone. Somehow, something in Athena's aura veiled smoke and mirrors that walled up between her and others—successfully hiding some a gold's worth of secret.

She stood in her position for a while as Athena weaved. Her silence turned into a wave of wondering—shifting her goals to make the crafty goddess open up to her.

"I must know what she was feeling." Aphrodite thought, feeling determined.

Graceful like a swan, she carefully moved towards Athena, who now ignored her. Her smile somehow never left, pillared with the willpower to unveil the secret the wise deity was hiding.

"That is wonderful work you have there, Athena." She sincerely admired her work.

Aphrodite found the image quite unlikely from her usual subject of deities, ethereal beings, and the heroic deeds of the demigods. This time, her purple eyes could not look away from the very detailed pregnant woman, happily surrounded by blooming florals that appeared to be making her day blessed.

Snapping out from her fantasy, Athena stammered. "Huh—oh, well—I did not hear what you said."

"I said that is a wonderful weave you are doing right now," Aphrodite repeated, emphasizing the compliment.

"Oh! I see—thank you." Athena cheekily smiled.

As Aphrodite stepped a little closer, swaying her long light blonde hair and her train of a glittering cape on her back, she eyed the art again and realized that the features of the pregnant lady were similar to Athena. The shape of the nose, lips, and eyes was like looking at the reflection of a mirror.