The Birth of A Constellation

Fingers. Pointing fingers were upon the goddess of wisdom like a mob that wanted to burn her effigy. This was not Athens at war. She was not in her harbor waiting for the incoming enemy that wanted to sack and destroy her beloved state.

But dear Athena was at the ball—the third night.

"I know the whispers." She began. "I know all the murmurs and things said about me and my son. I was in denial and chose not to deal with it. But I guess the mask is now off." After calming her nerves, the goddess—with piercing stares—pointed at Eris, "But dare to say one more about my virginity! Never had I slept with any man! Not once and will never break my oath of everlasting chastity."

Despite pouring her heart with her explanation, some were still clinging to doubt, especially Eris, who just chortled at her notion.

"It is true!" Aphrodite then stepped in to defend the goddess from the hot waters. "Athena told the truth. She shared with me about her son. Her virtue was still intact."

Weighing on with the circumstance, Hephaestus moved to Aphrodite's side and waited for the air to go clear. And when those rambling whispers were hushed, he spoke, "Athena did not sleep with any man to have Erichthonius. I-I—forgive me for this tale, but I forced myself upon her once upon a time. I was titillated and almost deflowered the goddess—though in good grace, she slipped out from my erotic rage. According to her recount: my seed, which latched onto her thigh, was then thrown down to the earth and impregnated it. Days later, there was Erichthonius.

I was his whole flesh and blood, and Athena wholeheartedly took the part of being his mother. Along with the former king of Athens and his daughter, Erichthonius found a home there. Athena never left him. She was there—she was a good mother and even insisted on me taking part in it.

I owe Athena an immense apology and honor to have spent many moments with my son. I felt guilty—down to my very core, but Athena showed mercy and displayed formidable diplomacy in our difficult situation. Though little compared to the life of a deity, my son was privileged enough to have met and bonded with his father."

Silence. Everyone was dumbfounded by the realization that the timely rumor was now shattered with the truth from the goddess of wisdom herself.

No more questions asked.

But with her chaotic morals, Eris maniacally laughed at the statements. She tried all belittling, wanting to convince the majority that all were lies. "You think you can pull that trick, Athena?"

"It was no trick, Eris!" Aphrodite exclaimed, annoyed at her countenance.

"Oh, really, Aphrodite? Do you want to be on the higher morale now? I see that you and your unfortunate husband have been teaming up. I guess that is how guilt could choke you."

"Watch your mo—" And before Hephaestus could attack the wrathful goddess, Zeus meddled with the galled party and halted the assault.

"Enough!" He commanded.

Of his thunderous voice and omnipotent stature, everyone complied and never said more. Zeus then went over to Athena, with his eyes all focused on her—studying her temperament broodingly.

"So, coming from you. You are indeed the mother of the eminent Athenian king." He mentioned.

"Yes." Athena nodded. "I am indeed the mother of the king, Sire." She openly confirmed as she displayed reverence before the king of the gods.

However, instead of uttering scrutiny like the others, Zeus smiled at her. There was no judgment, no menacing disposition—the king of Olympus was well-pleased of her antic.