Destiny On The Line

Bemused eyes twinkled—blinking twice as Athena gazed at his face with a smirk that only relayed an ominous threat.

Yet, those bitter fears ornamenting her face made the god of war feel more powerful—and dominant than her, which was unlikely before.

"A—Ares." Athena finally uttered as she waited for some strength to return.

Ares leaned, closing into her face. Silver eyes met ambers again. Both said nothing, and not one commenced any argument. Instead, the god savored every inch of her and suddenly changed his reaction to concern that Athena briefly noticed.

She was surprised to see it. She even let out a soft gasp that also alarmed Ares.

The two broke their gaze, and Ares went back onto his feet.

"Well, it is nice that my little offering is not dead."

"Ares," Athena repeated as her forehead wrinkled—knotting her brows at the center.

"Hmm?"

But before her questions could escape from between her lips, Athena was inevitably pushed down—sent to the cold and hard floor that did not anticipate the violent touch of her skin.

Fuming and in a deep, cold tantrum, Eris looked down at her, not flinching at what she had done.

"Tsk, tsk—hold those raging tempers, my goddess." The god suavely said, coquettishly chuckling as he pulled out the chair that restrained Athena to the floor. "You had enough fun with my Owl. I heard of those glorious cheers with every scourge you inflict on this maiden. I am impressed!" His eyes smoldered in admiration towards the goddess, who stood motionless and stoic.

Upon noticing this praise, Eris held back and lightly laughed while trying to hide the growing crimson on her cheeks. A smile then plastered on her lips.

"Very well then—but those scars were not enough." Something in her tone amplified. There was the flow of hate and ill will. Her eyes painted murder as she faced the helpless Athena.

Eris then recalled the undoing of the silver-eyed lady when she was still a goddess. She narrated to Ares how Medusa was wronged, as well as Arachne. "Both of them did not deserve any punishment." She began, "It is not their fault that the perfect goddess had this hidden jealousy towards those lovely mortals."

Her words spewed out like salt on open wounds. Athena glowered at her, dispelling her wishful thinking of a better chapter ahead as a mortal. Now equal to her, Athena's temper brewed as she exclaimed, "How can someone think highly of themselves but still listen to murmurs made by rotten tongues?"

By that, Eris had had enough.

She pulled Athena out from her petrification and threw her down again as she snarled and left a long scratch on her arm.

"Your words meant nothing to me now!" The goddess yelled—scorning and entangling her hair like a twisted vine with no hope for release while she groaned in pain.

Amber orbs of Ares saw the agony on Athena's face when Eris's hold hardened. He did not display any emotion nor flickered when more suffering was imposed on his prisoner. He just watched the ordeal—inhaling the quiet cries though teeth were bitterly grinding behind that blank façade.

His muscles tensed, not knowing why. No sooner, some kind of heat rose from inside him as he continued to witness the violence Eris inflicted on Athena.

The god of war then went blank—

His thoughts ceased, and there was nothing.

Everything went dark, and nothing more.