Rendezvous on the Second Moon

A chorus of joyful noise was singing in Aphrodite's core. "At last! At very long last, Athena finally spilled all those secrets." She murmured. She could not contain her smile as if she had found the end of Iris's rainbow where treasures were kept and protected. However, despite the glee, she felt, the goddess somehow remembered Hephaestus. Knowing he was Erichthonius's biological father, she wondered how Athena felt toward him. "Ugh!" She cursed silently. "Why must I pry about it?"

Athena saw the change in the other goddess's expression; she also wondered what suddenly bothered her, "Everything all right, Aphrodite?"

"Oh!" She growled, losing her control over her impulse. "I am sorry again if I became nosy over the matter, but I would like to ask, why are you still talking to Hephaestus? The fact that he had a temple beside yours in Athens?"

The goddess of wisdom lowered her head, calming the typhoon of emotions inside her chest and head. Once everything cleared, she told her, "I—" She staggered, carefully formulating her statement, "I forgave Hephaestus."

Aphrodite flabbergasted. She knew not what to say, knowing how horrific the atrocity Hephaestus did. "But weren't you traumatized?"

"I am—I chose grace, Aphrodite." She gazed at her with a sunny little grin curving on her lips. "Is it not quite staggering? I should punish the offender, but I end up silent and letting time heal every broken string. What he did was something worth for the gallows, but when I told him of Erichthonius—he broke down immediately. I have never seen a man so broken and shattered into a million pieces. The course of his action already had gotten hold of him.

I vividly remember how a strong god, who has known pain and rejection all his life, went down on his knees and cried—pouring all the sorrows out. At that moment, he made me realize that it was a must to forgive him. His sincere gesture struck me. It made me think, 'How can a mother deprive her child away from his father? His real father?' I have a family here in Olympus. And family is something irreplaceable. So, I acquainted Hephaestus to Erichthonius three days after his birth."

Aphrodite's hands quivered. She gripped the folding fabrics on her lap and bit her lip, not wanting to showcase unprecedented sentiments in front of Athena. She tried to be bold. She was balancing on a string amidst a hundred feet of shame and guilt.

Athena's words were very commanding that even her soul felt the desperate disposition of the blacksmith god.

"Ha—has your relationship grown since then?" Aphrodite asked, quietly praying the other goddess would say no.

"Expand on that?"

"Ha—have you felt any ro—romantic feelings for him—secretly?"

The goddess who vowed eternal virginity was greatly appalled by her inquiry. "Goodness me! No!" She vocally reasoned. "I may not be immune to the mother's love but romance is nothing for me."

"Perhaps, 'not yet' at this moment." Suavely swaying her blonde head in the opposite direction, smiling at her contentment as she jested.

Athena pondered, raising one brow at her. "What did you say?"

Aphrodite playfully smiled. "Oh, nothing. I was just murmuring about the celebration. So, are you coming now?"

"I—let me think about it."

"It is the second moon, Athena." Aphrodite pouted.

"Just do not let your expectation get in your head." Athena beamed, glaring a glowing expression at her.

When the evening grew louder, Aphrodite then decided to leave. And before she left, Athena bestowed a warm embrace and whispered her gratitude.

***

The birds sang their evening song as the crickets began to go along. Everything was tranquil. Athena had all the time for herself and was happy to continue weaving. She stared at the fabric that depicted the pregnant woman. She was still astonished at how the art happened, but she smiled and no sooner open-heartedly accepted it.

"You are a beauty. I will continue with you now." She said.

When her hands glided through the monotonous rhythm of weaving, her head contemplated her revelation. Her heart was pounding, losing its melody like a broken lyre. Holding on to the yarn, Athena's hands became violet. The anxiety rose to her heart, fearing that what she told Aphrodite might spread like wildfire the moment she might walk into the celebration.

It was never her character to back out in any war or argument—but something more personal and sacred, being treated like paltry talk, she would not take her shot impulsively.

As her thoughts got deeper and deeper, Athena quickly snapped back into reality when he heard a familiar distant howl. She knew that her wolf friend was looking for her—desperately reminding her of her promise.

The goddess walked to her terrace to hear more of her friend's cries. The moonlight beautifully cast on her, making her more divine and as if whispering encouragement to her weary heart. "I guess nothing is wrong with not joining the feast again?" She blurted out as she placed her hands on the ledge. "Tonight is another perfect night to stroll again in the forest."

***

The wolf sat at the forest entrance, waiting patiently for the goddess's response to his calls. He was motionless while the breeze blew every hither-tither and every inch of his hair.

He was still waiting—

Until along the horizon, a white figure emerged amidst the foggy darkness.

"Greetings!" Athena called, waving at her friend.

Like a puppy, who had been waiting for his owner, the wolf wagged his large tail and drooled in excitement once he saw his dear goddess. He immediately ran towards her and jumped at her, causing them to fall to the ground.

"Oh, dear!" Athena squealed. "I know—I know. I am back." She gleefully said.

The jolly wolf licked her face, neck, and both hands, leaving no space for his affection and praises—indebted to her since she graced him with her presence.

Athena laughed, happy to see and spend the whole night with him. "Come now, let us go by the lake."

Goddess and beast had a little journey, appreciating the little things along their way. From the little bugs hiding between petals to the sleeping buds that bend down to rest, Athena beamed a sunny grin—loving the beauty that adorned the lush greenery.

Once they arrived at the lake, the forest creatures were equally happy to see the goddess. They all encircled her and were on their best behavior as they listened when Athena began to sing a song and then told them a story later.

The night was still young, letting them enjoy every second of the minute with their fair divine maiden. The forest trees swayed as if dancing to the music of her voice. Athena's story brought so much vividness to the hauntingly quiet forest, with all ears focusing on her.

Compared to the loud feast of Olympus, Athena chose to be with the animals. She wanted to celebrate the remaining five suns and moons around the sacred forest with its inhabitants. Athena now understood Artemis. She now knew why the goddess of the hunt favored everything in the wilderness rather than in the comforts of the Olympian walls.

"Peace is always sacred, attainable if one's mind and heart is clear." She mumbled, then stared at the heavens before she continued, "But peace is sometimes only found in the simplest of things, and that is here in the forest."

And as the feast went wild and the darkness deepened, the goddess—who sang and told a story all night long—eventually succumbed to sleep and laid quietly on the soft grass bed. The wolf and other animals stayed by her side, guarding her against possible predators that would surely harm her.