Whispering Pain

She was like a star, glowing on a vast canvas of dark purples and blues. Her body slumped on a grassy plain, like a defeated warrior beaten from the draining battle scars. She breathed heavily, far from the prestigious epitome of a strong goddess. Her beauty paled down, a plain marble statue deprived of colors and life.

She looked helpless—no aid from the grievous sorrow she was feeling.

Athena the maiden was locked behind the tears and sunken spirits of Athena the mother, who was supposed to be a masquerade only for her to see.

"Erichthonius." The poor goddess repeated.

Who knew such emotion could wear out the bloom of a delicate and chaste flower? A peony, feeling the frostbite despite the healing golden rays of the sun. She deeply missed her son. Though the affection of her devotees filled her days with smiles, nothing compares to her child's genuine love for her.

The love he gave to her completed the void she never knew existed. Every thanks and sorries he said when he was still a young boy was engraved deeply in her memory. Every wisdom he sought; and all those struggling plans he made when he became king—Athena was there, guiding him until the Moirai decided to close his chapter.

Under the cold and painful stretch of the winds, the goddess of wisdom lost her control and finally admitted failure. She closed her eyes and hoped to see tomorrow from a different perspective—perhaps a brighter disposition than her recent one.

She was nothing more but a forgotten effigy as she lay motionless on the dark olive grass. Her silver eyes finally had their final curtain moment, closing into the blurry scene of the night.

Yet, despite the agony that loomed over her, Nocturna, the owl, finally saw her dear goddess on the ground and immediately flew down to her side. Athena did not wake up as she was out and about in limbo. The owl must hurry. She had to do something to help her mistress. So, with her silver and golden wings spread wide, she glided into the breezy atmosphere and sang a cry for aid.

With their little ears, the birds understood her and flew to call for more help with the other little animals who were about to end their day. Alerted, they all had one thing in mind—they all decided to call for their new friend, the wolf, to help them carry the sick goddess.

They all ran in haste, wanting to waste no seconds to save the goddess. Nocturna continued calling for help, hoping more would listen to their need. The little animals finally tracked the wolf—with his residual sent, they arrived at a cave isolated from the lush greens of the forest. It was almost barren, with dead trees on both sides of the entrance. As it looked scary for them, the forest critters pointed at one another as to whom could go and tell the great beast about what happened. After a minute wasted, at last, one brave rabbit and a robin volunteered to enter the cave. The two swallowed their fear as they went along the dark and gloomy path. Not a moment later, they saw the wolf resting but with eyes brightly opened, peering at them.

Fighting their hidden fear, the rabbit and the robin immediately relayed to the wolf what they had heard from Nocturna's cries.

Without hesitation, the wolf bolted from his rest and tried tracking down Athena's scent.

In every little pathway and overgrowth, the beast never overlooked any spaces as he searched for the goddess. He now detected her scent by where she had exited after her bath. He followed the residual aroma until he heard the cry of Nocturna, who was still flying in the air. He observed her for a second. He then thought that perhaps Athena was somewhere under her range. The animals behind him followed as he hastily darted to where the owl was flying.

Not for so long, the friendly creatures and the beast arrived at the plain field outside the forest. They walked a little more and finally saw the pale and sick form of the goddess on the ground.

The divine owl saw the commotion below. She flew down to the goddess's side and noticed the beast approaching them. At first, she was alarmed—thinking that he would eat the goddess as she lay unconscious.

But gently, the wolf let her know that he meant only goodwill and wanted to help Athena. The little critters also said the same thing, justifying the wolf's intention.

With that, Nocturna let him carry her mistress, carefully pulled her, and cradled her on his back. All secured and comfortable, the wolf led everyone to his cave, where the goddess could recover.

After they all settled Athena, the small ones gathered some broken branches for the fire, while Nocturna gathered some fruits. On the other hand, the wolf stayed, guarding the goddess as he noticed how frail she had become since they met just moments ago. He wailed and tried to wake her, but she was too weak to open her eyes. It was an odd sickness that even an immortal like Athena had no escape from its keep.

***

The crisp sound of the burning woods cackled in the air. The combined smell of smoke and berries perfumed every nook and cranny, prompting the sleeping Athena to open her eyes.

"Where am I?" She idly mumbled.

With her eyes adjusted to her new environment, Athena realized she was inside the belly of a cave with a ruby fire dancing in the middle. She also saw her new friend, the wolf, sleeping peacefully nearby.

"Oh, I did not know you were also here." She whispered.

As she noticed her mistress now awake, Nocturna flew down from her position and greeted her. The goddess happily greeted her back and asked what happened. The owl narrated everything she knew and her theory of what happened.

She told Athena that she might have some kind of possession, hence why she suddenly collapsed in the middle of the plain grassy field. She told her how fragile she had looked with her paleness and position, seemingly like death.

Athena fell silent, feeling sorry for the worries she had caused. She thanked her beloved owl for heeding her silent plea and then went to the wolf's side to give him the gratitude he deserved.

Sensing her presence, the wolf slowly opened his eyes and raised his head to acknowledge the goddess. He looked happy to finally see her regaining vigor as he smiled widely at her.

Athena smiled back and then kissed the beast's forehead. "Thank you." She said.

The wolf gave a soft yet joyful rumble while he leaned toward her. If only he could tell how happy he was to see her silver eyes beaming with life again. He had begun to admire his new friend. And if she ever planned to leave again, he would truly miss her.

The goddess seemed to understand what those wild eyes were about to say. She rested her head on his and said, "I will not depart from you and all the kind friends I have met tonight."

The goddess Athena, her owl, and the wolf warmed themselves up for a while as they gathered by the fire. The goddess suddenly sang a song that echoed throughout the air, somehow putting everyone in good spirits.