Three Helpless Graces

Her skin finally found rest—the dread was gone, and so was the suffering that ate her inside out. All despondent feelings faded as she submerged in the bathtub full of warm water mixed with oils and rose petals of the brightest red.

It was, indeed, a surprise that Eris took her to a descent room and said nothing more.

As she was led to the bathtub and left alone, she overheard Eris instructing a servant, saying, "Take care of Athena. Give her the finest cloth and rub her with the most aromatic oils." She was at ease, though her tone was still more demanding.

Athena was puzzled by the sudden hospitality given to her. A moment ago, she was on the point of death—pinned between Ares and the goddess of discord's taunting. But as they enter the solemn room, out of the blue, her attitude changes, and the atmosphere seems light compared to the atmosphere of the previous quarter.

More hot water was then poured into her bath when the servant came. She smiled at Athena, and Athena smiled back—warmly greeting her with a soft voice.

The servant then carefully cleaned her body, gently rubbing every inch of her, especially her wounds.

"I am sorry for the discomfort, my lady," The servant sympathetically implored. "I am almost done."

Athena did not mind despite flinching from every slow pat on her back. "No need to fret. Your deed was from the goodness of your heart." She told her as she leaned to the edge of the tub and closed her eyes. "By the way, may I know your name?"

The servant went quiet, thinking whether to converse with her, knowing the consequence would be an instant punishment from Eris and Enyo.

Sensing her concealed fear, Athena slowly turned to face her—warmly giving her another smile as she admitted, "There is nothing to be afraid of me. I—I just felt lonely and needed someone to talk to."

The servant swallowed a hard lump, paused, and finally dismissed her skepticism. "Well, my name is Cloe, my lady." She beamed, suspiring in relief.

The two women were then at ease and got fully acquainted. As they interacted, Athena learned that Cloe was like Liene and Naida—she was also once a nymph and then cursed with mortality after the chaos.

"I would rather be this old maid, my lady—than be dead." She sorrowfully shared as she combed her long hair with her wrinkly fingers.

Athena only pouted, halting herself from uttering her distressing thoughts about death towards her new friend.

After a few more conversations, Athena unconsciously drifted away from reality.

Upon seeing her calm breaths and closed eyes, Cloe let the maiden be while she added more scented oils to her bath water. "Sleep well, my lady." She whispered as she rose.

***

The sun slowly descended from its highest peak.

The afternoon was serene, and trees stood tall—gracefully swaying with every breeze. Flowers on the ground were vibrant, and follies grew bountiful. The mysterious land was a perfect paradise that was the opposite of Hellas.

Despite the growing blues inside the palatial abode, some parts were still more bearable—more forgiving, especially for those who sought sanctuary.

All of a sudden—

As the afternoon bestowed the land with its golden light, the tranquility crashed as Eris and Enyo pushed Liene and Naida into a room beside Athena's.

"Inside, you indolent creatures!" Enyo yelled.