The Vulture's Ultimatum

Free and reliant on Pantelis's strength as they traversed the hallway, Athena gazed upon rows of highly decorated walls, alternating between frescoes and tapestries. There were scenes of the mighty past, even having the portraits of the deities themselves—but hers was nowhere to be seen, understanding that the heads of the megaron spared no favors for her. Somehow, Athena admitted that the long interior was beautiful despite the lingering gloom that mingled in the whole space.

Her eyes brightened as Pantelis looked at her. Athena was like a child who had just seen the world. He knew that behind those silver orbs, she recalled those glory days that would no longer happen. As she overlooked, the wise man captured her hand, softly comforting her as he also noticed the sadness pattering behind her lovely face.

Behind them were Naida and Liene, who were whispering their concerns for the former goddess of wisdom. Both quietly held back their tears, seeing how cumbersome Athena walked—far from the elegance of the past.

And their anxiety was accounted for when Athena tumbled on her feet.

"My lady!" Both women screamed as they ran towards her.

It was luck that Pantelis immediately held her before she hit the floor. "Lady Athena, are you alright?" He worriedly asked.

Her sight went from dark to light and back to steady with the scene of the mosaiced floor. "I—I am alright." She stammered as she tried to reassure her companions. "It was only an instance of lightheadedness. Do not worry." She smiled.

Once stable on her feet, the assemblage continued walking until they arrived at Ares's quarters.

It was a foreboding place. The door was intimidating—iron-made like the prison bars, gilded with vultures that seemed to have a helpless owl caged in its sharp talons. Something told Athena that this was some kind of a threat if she planned a rebuttal. But her spirit was long gone—as she thought—after the fall of Olympus. Though painfully acknowledged, the fair maiden would rather have her new chapter with her whole heart set on becoming a diligent mortal—humble and hoping for peace despite the circumstances saying otherwise.

She sighed in weariness once the door opened. Her eyes drooped again as she felt the fatigue that plagued her since her defeat.

"Come, my lady, have a seat here." Pantelis offered as he guided her to a chair by the large window. "Make yourself comfortable. Master Ares will soon be here."

"Alright." Athena yawned.

And once she seated herself and her small entourage left, the silver-eyed maiden immediately fell back into a slumber—not heeding to what might happen to her.

Eventually, from the dark corner of the room, Ares appeared with a slight grin on the corner of his mouth. With a creak, followed by a door closing behind him, the god of war walked towards Athena, looked at her, and gave a light chuckle once he studied her form.

"A pity," He mumbled. "I see that you are still clinging on to my cape, Athena." He then gazed at the red fabric that was holding on—tightly knotted just above her breast as it served its new purpose as her clothing.

In some way, instead of violently shaking her to wake her up, Ares let her be—leaving her of her own accord after he took one last glance at her.

After some time, Athena remained in deep slumber—floating away under the dreamy sunlight that somehow embraced her, adding a halo upon her head. The god saw this as he paced back and forth in the center while reading something on a scroll. He even felt some pleasure in the view before him despite knowing that his soul was fighting such auspicious emotion towards her.

"Even in death, Zeus favored you." Ares jibed.

He then paused at his lark and walked back to his jailbird—carefully brushing the hairs out of her face, revealing the beauty that all behold since she made her existence known. Satisfaction crept up to his face, setting some kind of a strange spark into his amber eyes.

And not a second, Eris bolted from the iron door and made no formal salutations.

"Ares!" Eris called and instantly saw the sleeping Athena on a seat. "Oh, I see that little lamb is now with you."

"Yes. Little lamb, or should I prefer—little owl, is now here."

"Little owl?" The goddess purred, teasing his shoulder with her fingers. "Oh, what a title for a prisoner."

"I can hear an underlying suggestion in your voice, Eris." Ares sharply observed.

"Was it? Well, let us stop beating the bush—I just have this question: what is Athena's purpose?"

"I see—" The god thought, painting a sly smirk ironically paired with an austere look in his eyes. "Take a look at us: you, Enyo, and I. What have you noticed?"

Eris needed help understanding his implication. She raised a brow and gave up as the silence grew.

"No words?" Ares sighed. "Well then—Is it not obvious that none of us had any patience? We are a menagerie of chaos, coldhearted, and violence. I spared Athena, for she is the very opposite. I wanted to rule—to overturn Zeus and restore the balance between the divine and mortal sphere, and I can achieve this if I have a counter opinion on any matter. Athena was perfect for the role."

"I thought you had your eyes set on ending her? When did this change of heart happen?" There was some kind of force in her inquiry, prompting Ares to sense the intention of putting him on the edge. Eris, in concealment, did all her might to raise her chin high.

The god looked at her, eyeing her from head to foot, concluding his hunch but then brushing off instead of revoking her suspicion.

"Are you suggesting that I was being too soft on her?"

"Aren't you?"

The water has now overflown—

Ares paused for a while, subduing the growing tension between him and Eris. Her eyes were fuming, demanding an honest confirmation. However, Ares was excited about the game she started.

The chase excited him.

True to his disposition, his psyche twisted the burbling irk and turned it more of a delight—a pleasure that would involve someone's fall.

"I understand for such ideas," Like a shot, he cupped Athena's chin once more—attempting to boil Eris into her own oil—and said, "Why does it matter if what are my other intentions for Athena? One certain thing is her role in my reign, and the other—ha! I know it will not involve any other."

His jovial statement brought a hurricane of madness inside Eris. Her sharp nails buried deep in her skin, almost tearing the flesh as her clench constricted. Her eyes then darted at Athena—still wandering out and about in dreamland.

She hated her even more.

She hated that Athena was like a baby, unknowingly sensing the kittenish attention Ares gave to her.

He succeeded in his objective. With the game of cat and mouse, Eris became the prey as he smoothly pushed her to her limits—revealing the splendid envy on her face.

To add more insult, Ares playfully teased Athena's lips, causing her to flutter her eyes—awakened from the caress that felt cold.

As her vision cleared, there was an understandable surprise on her face, seeing Ares standing before her with a smile on his face.

"Good day, Owl—did you have a good sleep?" Ares greeted—an anathema masquerading behind goodwill.