Chapter 9

"Ma, look at me!" a little girl with short auburn locks exclaimed excitedly as she looked at her mother who was tending the garden.

Her mother smiled as her daughter did a perfect cartwheel, her blue dress swishing above her knees ."That's my little girl!" a man voiced out behind the little girl before scooping her up in his arms and tickling her sides.

"Da, put me down!" the little girl's laughter rang out as she squirmed in her father's hold, avoiding his fingers.

The little girl's father placed her beside her mother and sat beside his wife. "Good job Mia! I knew you could do it! "the mother looked her daughter loving and gave her hug. Mia smiled at her parents, feeling genuinely happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Mia's eyes shot opened. Pressing her hand to her temple, she sat up on her bed,careful not to bump her head on the upper deck of the bunk bed. She had dreams like this before but never one so vivid. It was almost as if she was there, watching them. Mostly, they were just random scenes that could easily be forgotten the moment she woke up but there was something about this dream she couldn't shake off. Mia shook her head, feeling silly. It was probably because she was shaken up by her strange incident with Sir Silas. She chanted this in her head, trying to convince herself. There was no way this dream was any different than others. Mia looked out of the tiny window located in the middle of the two bunk beds. The sky was still dark. Mia decided to get ready for the day, the servant wake up bell was about to ring before dawn broke.

Mia was tying her apron over her brown skirt when the bells started ringing. Jas rose from her bed drowsily and was more than awake when she saw Mia, fully dressed.

"Mia, you're awake...and dressed. Are you sick?" Jas said seriously, making Mia smile.

"No, I just woke up early today," Mia replied.

"Are you sure your Mia?"Jas jumped out of the bunk bed and walked towards Mia. She grabbed Mia's face and peered closely at her face.

Mia laughed at Jas' antics and removed the hands from her face.

"I'm ok. Just hurry up and get dressed. You know you only have half an hour," Mia said before exiting the small room. 

She walked through the girls' servant quarters, hearing the others waking up. The servant quarter were located in the far end for the Conte Castle, near to the west. The girl's sleeping quarters were located at 2nd floor of the west wing and for the boys, the 3rd floor. They would dine punctually for breakfast at the crack of dawn at the Servants Dining Area at the basement.

Mia opened the huge double doors of the Dining Area and saw Miss Mary, Miss Sina and Mr Joseph discussing near the Main Kitchen. At the creaking of the door opening, they turned their heads towards the door. Mia cursed the noisy double doors. She wanted to be inconspicuous but then again now she think about it, she would have failed terribly being the only present serving girl in the enormous hall. Miss Sina beckoned Mia towards them.

Mia groaned internally and walked towards them. Miss Sina looked at her disapprovingly before saying," Mia, Lady Lousina told me you came to her room late yesterday."

Mia bit her lip. Lady Lousina was more than angry when Mia came to her room late. She was lecturing her about servant's punctuality, duty to the upper class and some other stuff Mia didn't bother remembering. Mia kept her head down as Miss Sina looked at her, waiting for an explanation. Mia decided not to say anything about Sir Silas, it would just make things more complicated. Miss Sina sighed when she didn't say anything . 

"Please don't let this happen again. To have a serving maid not doing her job right would tarnish our reputation," Miss Sina warned Mia.

"Yes, Miss Sina," Mia replied, still admiring her black shoes.