The New Arrival

All rights reserved to Tamora Pierce for Alanna and all of the characters she created. Mia Swift and the rest are all my creations. Hope you guys will like this book. It's my first one!

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Sina Gate sat behind her desk as she inspected the girl fidgeting nervously in front of her. She had a rather eye-catching appearance. Shoulder length auburn hair that was softly curled, bright emerald eyes and a cute little button nose.  Sina cleared her throat before speaking up. "Are you here to apply for the job?"

Sina noticed a flash of nervousness in her eyes, which was soon replaced by determination and resolve. 'Hm, not bad.' 'The girl took a deep breath and spoke "Yes, I would like to apply for the job as a serving girl in the royal palace of Tortall."

Sina observed her silently. She reached into a pouch which was full of 'eyebright' inside her pocket. It would help her See through any attempts to deceive her. If a lie was detected, a red fire would flare around the girl. She called on her Gift before inquiring,

"Name?"

"Mia Swift."

"Age?"

"16 years old"

"Family?"

"None, Miss. I lived in an orphanage."

Sina nodded in approval. She wasn't telling lies as there was no red fire. Good. Sina had had enough of dishonest people. She looked at Mia one more time before making a decision.

"Alright then, you're hired. I'm Sina Gate and I am overall in charge of all the serving girls or in more official terms, serving maids, in the palace.  For your first month here, you will be responsible for the palace's laundry, dishwashing and room cleaning. If you do a good job, you will be able to serve any guests during lunch or dinner, and help the women when they are in need of assistance in their rooms. You will live in the serving maids quarters and room with three other girls. And try not to charm any of the boys or knights in the castle while you're here," she directed a heavy gaze at Mia as she finished her last statement.

Mia grinned and said "I won't, but I also won't be at fault if they try to charm me."

Sina looked at her in amusement and informed her where she could find her room and where to receive her uniform. Just before Mia left, she spoke up with a slight gleam in her eyes, "Oh and Mia? Good luck. You're going to need it."

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

How is it? Do you guys think its ok? Please leave comments and tell me what you think. Vote if you like this story. Until the next update, bye!