Verse 3

There you were, alone in your tiny apartment, ruffling your hair, sighing in frustration. "Honestly, all that fuss over new orders...why is the man like this...?" you complain, muttering under your breath as you finally stand up. Despite your few days on a cold floor completing a job, you still had this final day off to do whatever you wanted. No side jobs, no requests from the headache of a man, that was Dazai either. It was still early in the day, so you decided to walk through the streets of Yokohama while it was still quiet. Despite it only being spring, the weather was already getting increasingly warm. This naturally leads you to wear a simple white dress and shoes with a slight heel, then take a white parasol to protect yourself from the sun. After leaving the apartment, you open up your parasol and begin your stroll through the streets of Yokohama you had come to familiarise yourself with.

However, your once peaceful walk becomes ruined when you take a wrong turn down an alleyway, and you're now face to face with 2 men you did not want to deal with today, especially one in particular. It was Dazai and Chuuya, clearly a pair for disaster. Chuuya was grabbing the scruff of Dazai's collar, clearly furious and probably for a good reason. You try to sneak away, yet your attempt is futile as the man undoubtedly anticipated your arrival. "Save meeeee," he wails, startling Chuuya. His surprise resulted in him losing his grip and giving Dazai an opportunity to become free and run towards you.

Time for your naive and timid facade.

"W-who are you?" You ask him as he moves behind you and places his hands on your shoulders, essentially using you as a human shield against Chuuya. "You slimy bastard, quit using a woman as a fucking shield!" he barks at him trying to race around you. However, Dazai merely forces you to continue being in the middle and as his shield. "P-please let go of m-me!" you cry out, clutching to your open parasol that conveniently hid your face from the enraged mafioso. For a moment, you feel Dazai lower his lips beside your ear and whisper something, leading you to close both your eyes and parasol and swing it towards him. A reaction that resulted in him effortlessly stepping backwards out of the way and you losing your balance, thus falling to the floor, landing on your hands and knees, dirtying your white dress. "See youuuuuu~" Dazai cheerfully sings as he runs for it. Leaving you on the floor, and Chuuya angrily roaring profanities amidst his fury. However, to your amazement, as soon as the yelling stops, you find yourself with the short male holding his hand out to help you up off the ground. As you finally tilt your head upwards to look him in the eyes, does he realise that he's seen you before, "you, you're from the wine shop," he comments as you take his hand, and he helps you up off the ground. "Y-yes, thank you f-for back then...I...you h-have a good taste in wine..." you begin to say before averting your gaze to anywhere that wasn't him. "I-I'm not certain what j-just happened...but thank you for just n-now too..." you bashfully stutter, brushing off the dirt of your dress. "I-" you begin to say, yet get interrupted.

"You should watch yourself around that bastard."

"O-of course..."

"He's a real piece of shit, just thinking about him pisses me off!"

"I'll just get going t-then..." you tell him as you turn around to walk away from him until he looks your way again, and you cease in your tracks. Without warning, he starts walking towards you; not knowing what to do, you turn back around to face him and impulsively open up your parasol in front of his face. A reaction that naturally surprises him at first until he stops walking towards you and sighs, "You just watch yourself," he suggests as you suddenly feel a gust of wind coming from in front of you: and it forces your parasol upwards and out of your hands. Finally, you notice that the short mafioso is gone. "My, what a gentleman," you sarcastically mumble as you turn around to pick up your parasol off the ground, yet pause for a moment.

You're only brought back to your senses when your phone starts to ring; 'strange it hasn't rung since...' you thought, leaving the parasol for a moment and standing up straight. So you answer. "Now, just what do you want after so many years?" you ask the person on the other side of the phone, clearly irritated. "Ha, and why exactly would I do that?" you ask mockingly, sneering as you do so. "For a man who values lives so much, you certainly didn't-" you begin to say; however, the phone is nabbed from your hand. "You-!" you attempt to shout, but they cover your mouth using their other hand. Ignoring you, they place the phone against their ear, "It's been a while-"

A few years ago...

"Make us more dolls, Y/N!" the young girl demanded, clearly impatient for a new toy to play with. Sighing, you admit your defeat as you give in to the cute demands of the child. "Yes, of course, whatever you want, oh lovely Sakura-chan," you reply as the 5 children around you all start to laugh at your awful attempt at acting. "It is your birthday soon after all, what kind would you like to have this time?" you ask her, pretending to think. "No fair, I want one too!" Kōsuke demands, possibly feeling left out as he was yet to receive a gift from you. "Don't worry, I'll give you an extra special one for your birthday," you tell him chuckling at his behaviour. Suddenly ruffling his hair like you usually would do to the kids to playfully tease them.

Yet you never got the chance to give the doll you had made for her birthday...

Present day...

"Really, why must I have to think about that now..." you complain under your breath while ruffling your hair in frustration. But after the appearance of such a person after so many years, you couldn't help but think back to when you used to make dolls for those kids. You would take days simply thinking of what kind of appearance the dolls then carefully handcraft every aspect of your idea. For once, you felt lucky that Dazai had intervened and grabbed the phone off you. "What exactly are you doing back here, don't think I considered that stunt before amusing," you complain, glaring at him as you know full well he only appears before you for a reason. Those idiotic shenanigans and playful yet lazy facade weren't something you'd fall for after all. "It's time," he responded, his expression suddenly changing from a mischievous grin to a much more serious and straight face. You knew what he meant, yet you had hoped there was more time. Sighing softly, you put your hand into your dress pocket and take out a small pawn chess piece. "Time, huh..." you mutter, staring at the chess piece you had picked up some time ago. "And which space shall I be moving to?" you ask, still staring at the object in your hand. "B1," he answers as he begins to walk out of the alley and into the streets of Yokohama. 'Suppose that means taking a step backwards...' you thought as you wrapped your fingers around the object and tightly held onto it before putting it back into your pocket.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Apologies that it took so long, yet here it is yet another chapter. Just what will this 'step backwards' possibly mean...?