Verse 10

I have tried to keep the gore to a minimum but please be warned this chapter does become dark.

✧    ✧    ✧   ✧    ✧

A week has passed since the cat incident, and clearly, it ticked off Chuuya more than you thought, but then again, as a Port Mafia executive, his pride must have taken a huge hit, so you kept to yourself and left him be for now. Yet here you are, stuck outside his office, being forced to guard it, as if someone as powerful as him needed guarding, a pointless job clearly. Despite working directly under an executive like Chuuya, you still weren't high up in the Mafia; you received more entertaining jobs than those at the bottom. However, while most jobs were more thrilling, you still were forced to do pointless jobs like standing guard at Chuuya or Kouyou's office doors, most likely so they could keep tabs on you.

Suddenly, you hear a loud thud, most likely Chuuya slamming his fists into his desk again; he occasionally does it, but what soon followed was the smell of smoke in his room. Whatever he was doing just a moment ago seems to have him in an awful mood to the point he's stress smoking again. "You! Standing at the door; get in here!" he yells, and you do precisely that, closing the door behind you. "Yes?" you respond, but Chuuya is facing away from you, continuing to smoke. There's a moment of silence before he recognises your voice and quickly turns the chair around, "you!" he shouts, clearly not expecting you to be the one standing guard at his door. "I was ordered to stand guard in front of your office, a pointless job, I'm aware," you respond, looking at him unfazed and bored. "What's that supposed to mean?" he asks, scowling at you, presumably expecting you to poke fun or annoy him in some form. "You're the strongest here, why would you of all people need a guard outside your door?" you sincerely reply, and it seems your comment caught him off-guard. The executive didn't know how to respond; obviously, he couldn't decide whether you were being honest or sarcastic, so you decided to change the subject. "So how can I assist you?" you ask, playing nice this time as he appeared to be in a sour mood all week. He tosses a file onto the desk and folds his arms, frowning, "what do you think of this?" he asks, to which you move your hand to pick up the file before someone knocks on the door, resulting in you moving away from it. "Ane-san," Chuuya calls out as Kouyou enters the room. "I was worried you had run off on us, Y/N," she jokes, chuckling as she covers her mouth with her kimono sleeve as she usually does around you. "Despite how dull the job was I wouldn't dare, Chuuya simply noticed a presence outside his door and wanted to know who it was," you respond, trying not to poke fun at Chuuya; otherwise, you would have hinted that he was lonely and wanted company. However, it is unwise to prod a lion already showing its fangs. Kouyou takes a file out of her kimono sleeve and holds it up as if to show it off to you, "I trust you can handle this job then unless you much prefer waiting outside Chuuya's door?" she asks with a smile it seems she had her moments of being sly with you and insinuating that if you were to refuse, you would prefer being Chuuya's guard dog. "Now how could I possibly refuse a job when it's given to me by such a lovely executive as yourself Kouyou-san," you reply, ignoring the jab at you. "Very good now off you go," she responds, clearly hinting at you to leave the room for her and Chuuya to discuss something important.

You leave the room without another word, and after talking a few steps away from the room, you lean against a wall and read the contents of the file, and it is indeed intriguing. It seems a new problematic gang under the facade of running a simple restaurant; however, it is far from simple and, in truth, a hunting ground for a group of cannibals who have forgotten their place and decided to attack some Port Mafia members. There is a list of mafioso who have either been caught or attempted to go undercover, and all contact has been lost and thus been presumed dead. However, what you didn't expect to see was a familiar face, a male named Hotaru; he was one of the few mafioso whom you had become somewhat close to occasionally as drinking buddies. As you stand up straight, you slam the file shut and walk off to prepare for the possible next couple of weeks...