Verse 16

Flashback

You were 6 years old when it began, the usual story of the parents doing the crime and the child paying for those crimes in their stead. Despite it happening often, it didn't ease the pain any less; after all, what 6-year-old could handle being branded with a hot iron? Your parents had made a deal with a small gang to make it rich, but all failed when a far larger opposing group had essentially wiped the gang out, and to save their own skins, they had offered you as a slave. You never had a chance to run away or fight back, so you were hauled into the red-light district, where many unsavoury criminals hoping to have a fun time gathered. Stripping you down and pouring ice-cold water over your body, they then pinned you down and placed the hot iron on the bottom of your spine to mark you as one of their possessions. Fortunately, you were one of the slightly luckier ones, being forced as a maid rather than someone who spent time with the customers; however, that changed when you turned 13, and it only went downhill after that. You desperately struggled at first, but it was always in vain, usually resulting in some customers being more aroused by your endeavours. Even when there weren't any customers, you sat alone in your room waiting, your heart racing every time you heard footsteps walk past your door, wondering how long it would be until it opened again.

However, everything changed when you discovered your ability at 14; unfortunately, you weren't even aware what abilities were since you had practically been locked away your entire life.

As luck would have it, you had ended up alone with a particular customer who was known for killing off some of the girls. He was enraged about something, and before you could react, he had pushed you down and tightly wrapped his fingers around your neck, "That's right, struggle helplessly, no one here cares is you die by my hands," he laughs, his face filled with a twisted sense of delight. You weren't the first, nor will you be the last to be killed, a pointless death, or so you thought. With your eyes shut tightly, you flail around desperately scratching at his fingers while you try to get whatever air you can...and then there it was, the air you so desperately needed. Eyes still closed, you kept gasping for air until you caught your breath again, and you finally reopened your eyes to see the man had disappeared. Frantically, you dart your eyes around the room, several times over to be sure he is gone until a small doll near your legs catches your attention. The doll resembled the man who just tried to kill you, almost as if it was there to ridicule you. As anxiety is replaced with anger, you pick it up and rip it apart as best you can before throwing it out of the open window, and only then do you finally break down as reality hits you like a tsunami. However, it wasn't until many more times that you caught on to the various disappearances and the appearance of these strange dolls that you were the cause.

It was an unusual request, and you had been placed in a room with another girl who was just a little older than you, "H-have you heard about all those disappearing customers? I-I heard from a girl called Aoi that they were later found dead in pieces as if they had been torn a-apart..." she mentions, trying to get her mind off the upcoming customer who was to be arriving soon. "I-it's got to be an ability user!" she exclaims, placing her hands on her head, terribly afraid of what might happen if she were blamed. Aside from the one person who delivers your meals and the customers, you hadn't talked to anyone in years, so you wanted to figure out how to react to another poor soul like you. But something she said stuck in your mind, "Ability user...?" you timidly ask, wanting to know what exactly it was. "A-an ability user! Y-you know, people with bizarre powers, like creating ice out of nowhere!" she explains the best she can in such a situation. It was then you thought of those abnormal events with those strange dolls and the missing customers being found in pieces as if they were torn apart, just like how you tore apart those dolls you found. It was beginning to make sense, and by pure luck, you had an ability of your own; while you weren't sure how exactly it was activated, it had already protected you several times. You finally had the power to protect yourself. And at last, your opportunity to test it arrived as a drunk customer smelling of booze barged into the room.