7

After an hour of skating, we all leave the rink to buy hot chocolate. Even though it's a chilly night in New England, all the exercise has made me warm. Despite this, I'm looking forward to tasting the milky, chocolate flavor. I have mixed feelings about talking to Matt. This is a great opportunity to figure out if he has any feelings for me. 

After securing our hot chocolate, we walk over to a picnic table. I'm the first to sit down. Nate sits beside me and Nick sits next to him. Matt and Chris sit on the other side. 

"Matttttt," Chris shrieks. "You're already getting chocolate around your mouth."

He's right. There's a line of chocolate underneath Matt's bottom lip. It's cute. 

"Here's a napkin to clean yourself up, little boy," Nick says, practically throwing a napkin at Matt.  It's surprisingly how similar they act compared to their YouTube videos. 

"It feels like we're back in high school," Nate says.

"Just as long as Mrs. Miller isn't here! She was actually so scary!" Nick says loudly.

"Remember when she almost TRIPPED on Matt?" Chris asks, laughing. 

The boys start laughing uncontrollably. Even though I never had Mrs. Miller as a teacher, I laugh along with them. 

"We accomplished a lot in high school," I say once all the laughing stops. 

"I wish our prom wasn't canceled because of covid," Matt says. 

"If it wasn't, I would have gone with my so-called-boyfriend. That wouldn't have been fun," I mention.

"Oh, right. Weren't you dating that guy Joey?" Nick asks. I'm surprised he knew Joey and I dated.

"Yeah. He ended up breaking up with me. He gave me a whole speech about how he needed to focus on himself. Then he started dating another girl two weeks after we broke up."

"That's so messed up," Matt says, shaking his head. 

"Yeah. I'm sorry you went through that," Matt says. Realizing he's being uncharacteristically serious, he lightens up and says "which is why I recommend staying single and never going on any dates. Just like I've been doing." He grins.

"No Los Angeles dates? Come on man, there are so many models there," Nate says. He sneaks a grin at me. He's so confusing. He likes me yet he's trying to set me and Matt up? Weird. 

"Nah, I'm focusing on my career right now. Life has been so hectic. The last thing I need is a girlfriend."

He says it with such confidence. My heart drops a bit. I was expecting this but it still hurts to find out I have no chance with him.

"Makes sense. But when you do date, do you think it would be someone from Boston or Los Angeles?" 

I'm so happy that Nate is asking the questions I've been too afraid to ask.

"Probably Los Angeles. That's where my career is at the moment. But maybe after a couple of years, I'll be back in Boston anyway."

"Exactly. We're just cruising through life right now," Chris says to which Nick responds with a confused "cruising? Who even says that?"

"What about you, Natalie?" Matt asks, his blue eyes focusing on mine. "Have you fell in love recently?" He can't finish the sentence without laughing at how dramatic he's being. 

Nate shifts, his eyes suddenly focusing on me. 

"I haven't."

"We were just talking about this actually," Nate says quietly. 

Suddenly, the triplets look at us with disbelief.  

"We were." I say. "Nate is a great guy and I'm interested in seeing where things go." It's not a lie. So why do I feel bad?

"You guys would make such a cute couple!" Nick exclaims. 

"Yeah," Matt says, taking his eyes off of me, taking a sudden interest in the styrofoam cup that's in front of him.

Sensing that the mood is changing, Nick tries to reel us back in. "We're checking out that new breakfast place tomorrow with our parents."

"Which breakfast place?" Nate asks.

"The one in Back Bay. They have a ton of specialty pancakes with all different flavors. I'm getting  the Cookie Monster one. It's blue with a ton of chocolate chips and blueberries."

"Dude is going crazy over pancakes with food coloring," Chris says dryly. 

Nick gasps. 

"With that being said, maybe we can go grab breakfast tomorrow?" Nate asks me, letting the triplets fight about whether the pancakes are going to be gas or trash. 

He seems nervous. It's kind of cute.

"Okay, let's do that."