12

Nate chuckles as I extend my arms to take a picture of the sunset. He's driving us to the mall to see the triplets and Amelia.

"Your camera roll must be filled with sunset pics," he says.

"That's true. I need to start deleting them because my storage is almost full."

I'm a bit nervous. I haven't seen the triplets in months so I'm worried that it's going to be awkward. I'll be meeting Amelia for the first time. I'm hoping that she'll be nice and that we'll get along. It'll be great if I manage to make a new friend today.

Nate parks in the parking garage at the mall and together, we head inside. Nate calls Nick to see where the group is. "They're at Hot Topic," he says. "Hot Topic? What in the world? Are they emo now?"

Nate laughs. "Now that I think about it, they never had an emo phase. Maybe it's time."

We find them right away once we enter the store. They're looking at an... Elmo shirt? I'm so confused.

"Hey guys," I say to them, instantly recognizing Amelia. She's got her arm looped through Matt's arm. Her head is gently resting on his shoulder. Her eyes are stunning. They are the same shade of green as a grape. Her dirty-brown hair falls down her back delicately. 

We all exchange greetings. "Nate and Natalie, this is Amelia," Matt finally says. She gives us a nod. "Nice to meet you," we all say. 

"What's with the Elmo shirt?" Nate asks, acknowledging the tie-dye red shirt with a large picture of Elmo's face on it that Nick's holding. 

"It's so ugly," I say, bursting into a laugh. Amelia looks up at me, her eyes look up and down my face. 

"He can buy what he wants," she says matter-of-factly. 

A second goes by as I try to comprehend what she just said. "Yeah obviously he can." I start nervous-laughing. "I'm just confused as to why Nick wants to buy an Elmo shirt."

Nick starts smiling really wide. "I NEED a shirt of my boy Elmo. He's the man." Chris and Matt start giggling. Amelia starts laughing once Matt does. 

Nick ends up buying the shirt. "Can we go to Bath and Body Works?" Amelia asks, only looking at  Matt. She gives him puppy dog eyes which made Matt smile. I had to look away as they looked into each others eyes.

We all made our way over to Bath and Body Works. Even before I walk into the store, the overwhelming smells bother my nose. I rarely shop here. It gives me a headache. 

"I finished my lemon body wash so it's time for something new," Amelia explains to us. Wanting to get on her good side, I suggest cinnamon. She scrunches her nose. "I don't think so. That's like a grandma smell."

Is it? I shrug. 

"Melly is more of a fruity girl," Matt says. It's the first time I've heard him call her that. 

After unsuccessfully trying to find a fall fruit flavor Amelia likes, Nate and I decide to leave the store. We're silent as we pass store after store.

"She's..." he begins. 

"Okay," I say; it's the first word that comes to mind.

He laughs. "I don't know what I wasn't expecting but it wasn't that. She doesn't seem happy. She was smiling at Matt but keeps complaining."

"Exactly! I was hoping we could actually be friends but now I don't think so. I support Matt and really want to like Amelia but she's making this hard."

"Let's remember that Matt is the one dating her. He's an adult and can make his own decisions. We don't always have to agree with him."

He's right and now I feel embarrassed. "That's true. I just want him — and Amelia — to be happy."

Nate smiles. "You're a good person, Natalie."

Am I? Do I want what's best for Matt? Would I be okay if who's best for him isn't me?