8

Nate is coming to pick me up in ten minutes, so the last thing I should be doing right now is watching him in a Sturniolo Triplets video. 

I am ready to go out for breakfast with Nate. It's still cold here in Boston so I'm wearing a fluffy white coat over a tan sweater, black jeans, and Ugg boots. As I wait in my room, I couldn't help but to pull up the video. 

It's from a couple of months ago when Nate surprised them in L.A. As I watch Laura and Nate walk, I notice how good Nate looks. He's so approachable and easy to strike up a conversation with. 

Then Matt appears on the screen. He's intimidating and I instantly feel guilty. He's a nice person and would never purposely hurt someone. But once he makes eye contact with the camera, I hold my breath. He looks so confident. He must of known girls would take this clip and make edits of it, adding slowed-down music and dramatic effects. It must be nice to be wanted.

I hear a car pull alongside the curb. "Nate's here. Bye," I yell to my mom. From the moment I step into his car until we get to the restaurant, we try our best at small talk. Topics included: the weather, which classes we're taking in the fall, and our favorite kinds of food. 

The awkwardness doesn't wear off even inside the restaurant. I miss how we were before he confessed that he likes me. It was only a day but our conversation at our college's foodcourt was great. He's very easy to talk to. Except for now. This isn't right. As much as I'm trying to forget about Matt, I can't. 

So when Nate parks in front of my house, I know I can't delay any longer. 

"Today was fun. The French toast was incredible," I start. 

"It was. I bet our food was way better than those crazy pancakes."

"About Matt..."

His eyes dart to mine. His smile becomes a frown. 

"I know what he said about not wanting to be in a relationship. I'll respect that but I'm willing to wait for him. He's someone I want to get to know a bit better."

"He's going back to L.A. in a few days," Nate says, with a hint of annoyance in his tone. 

"I know. But it's the twenty-first century. Long-distance relationships aren't as hard as they used to be."

"If Matt wanted you, wouldn't he have made a move by now? All that time in high school and he never asked you on a date?"

"You just recently asked me out."

His mouth closes and he sighs. He runs his hand through his hair. "You're right, I'm sorry. I don't want to be a jerk. If Matt is who you want, I'll... respect that. But it'll be tough. I don't want you getting hurt."

"Can we still be friends?" I ask quickly.

"Of course."

He looks down at his lap. I lean over and hug him. He hugs me back.

"I'm glad we're friends," I say.

"Me too."