16

Matt asked me to come over. Chris and Nick are staying in L.A. Matt wanted to go home to think. According to him, the only friends he has left here is Nate and me. When I asked what he meant by that, he said he was so quick to make friends in L.A., he broke the ties with his Boston friends. He needs time to unwind at home. 

"I'm heading to Matt's," I tell my mom as I open the front door. 

"Wow, you two are becoming friends," she replies. 

I smile for a moment. We have to be friends by now. He invited me over to his house. Of course we're friends.  

When I arrive at Matt's house, I hesitate on what to do. Do I text him letting him know I'm here? Or do I ring the doorbell? I open up Snapchat and text "here" to Matt. I linger for a moment, waiting for him to see it. He doesn't. Instead of standing out here like an idiot, I walk up to the door and ring the bell. Doing this feels so old-fashioned but I'm not sure why. I'll add this to the list of embarrassing things that are embarrassing for no reason. 

I hear the Sturniolos' dog Trevor barking. "Oh be quiet," a female voice says. It's MaryLou. Moments later, the door opens. 

"Hi sweetie!" MaryLou exclaims, pulling me into a hug. She smells like lavender. Her dark curls are slightly damp. 

"It's good to see you," I tell her. We break apart from our hug and I bend down to pet Trevor. "Good to see you too," I tell him. 

"The boys are in Matt's room," she tells me. Even though they're far away, she leans in to whisper "take it easy on Matt. He's going through a lot."

I become stiff. I assumed Matt would be upset but I really hope he's okay. 

"Of course," I tell MaryLou as I excuse myself to go to his room. 

His door is open slightly but I knock anyway. "It's me," I say.

"Come on in," Nate yells out. 

I walk in cautiously. Nate is sitting down, facing Matt's T.V. with a game console in hand. Matt is lying down on his bed, throwing an eraser into the air. 

"You're here," Matt says with zero emotion. 

"Yeah...you invited me."

"Oh right."

"I'm offended," I joke, moving to sit at the edge of his bed. 

"You two should date again," Matt says after a moment of silence. My eyes dart to Nate. I was not expecting Matt to say that so blatantly. 

"Nah, we figured out we're better off as friends," Nate says confidently, no sign of embarrassment. I'm proud of him. 

"Ok soooo then let's date," Matt says. 

Somehow, all of Boston goes silent. Or at least, that's what it seems like. 

"Who are you talking to?" Nate asks.

"Who do you think?"

I struggle to find words but Nate beats me to it. 

"Natalie isn't some sort of rebound."

"No, that's not," Matt stops talking and sighs. He stops throwing the eraser and for some reason, rests it on his forehead. "Natalie was right about me and Amelia. I didn't want to hear it because it was the truth. Coming back from L.A., I realized who actually cares about me."

"Should I leave?" Nate asks, looking ready to bolt. His eyes are wide and his heart rate appears to have picked up. 

"No, it's fine," I tell him. "Matt, we can see where things go if you want. When you're ready."

"Cool, I'll think of something and let you know. Ughhh I don't want to go back to L.A. ever."

I make eye contact with Nate. Is Matt ok?