15

As I get under the covers, I let myself relax. It's a chilly October night. I have plans to go walking around Salem with a couple of friends this upcoming Friday. It's spooky season, and I plan on soaking up every moment. 

I reach over to grab the remote to my fairy lights. I flip the switch. Now, the only light in my room is from the moon and the small lights that hang from each wall. I open my laptop and head to Netflix. I'm in the mood for an episode of Gilmore Girls. I grab my phone and go on TikTok. I'm about to search "Gilmore girls fall episodes" into the search bar, but the first video on my For You page makes me freeze. It's a picture of Matt and Amelia hugging. I recognize it. Matt posted it on his Instagram a couple months ago with the caption "life has been treating me well recently." The caption above the image seen in the video, on the other hand, has a completely different tone: "if you're happy about the latest news, you're a fake fan." What news? I open the comments in hopes of getting some sort of explanation. No luck:

mattsturniolosbff57: guys we should want him to be happy

     @mattsturniolosbff57: ya but that's why we're worried. He was so happy

averymillerrrr: wait what's happening rn

bernardismybae: the entire fandoms reaction is so embarrassing like come on do better

 katiequinnny: HELP IM SO LOST

     @katiequinnny: same girl

     @katiequinnny: what am I missing

    @katiequinnny: it's kinda a long story, dm me

tomhollandcanmarryme: literally shocked    

I go to Matt's Instagram. He didn't post anything new, but there are a ton of new comments under the last picture he posted.

They broke up. 

It takes me another minute to find a screenshot Nick posted on his Snapchat. It's of a black screen with white words reading: "So apparently Matt's explanation during Instagram Live about him and Amelia breaking up wasn't even for some of you. Let this be your reminder that we're people and need privacy. If Matt wants to speak more about this, he will when HE is ready to."

It's been a couple of weeks since the triplets went back to L.A. I only got to see them for a couple of minutes when Nate dropped off some old video games at their house. Amelia wouldn't even look at me. I wonder what she's feeling now. Is she upset? Relieved? Mad...at me?

...

My friend Victoria's parked car is a twenty minute walk away. Salem during October is crowded, but I feel a rush from all the people. A hot cup of apple cider keeps my hands from freezing. Winter is quickly approaching. I need to savor the last moments of fall. 

I hear a text notification. I sigh and reach for my phone in my back pocket. It's probably my mom, asking when I'm getting home. But when I see the name, I take a gulp of frigid air. It's Matt. His text simply says "hey" without capitalization, a period, anything. 

My friends notice that I stopped walking.

"What is it, Nat?" my friend Chloe asks. 

"Matt just texted me."

"What?!" my friends ask loudly. Victoria runs over to me. "What did he say?"

"He just said hey. Nothing else."

"So he breaks up with his girlfriend and then texts you? You know what that means," Brianna says.

"He wants you!" Chloe yells. "Shhhhh," I say in response. "Maybe he's asking for something."

"Yeah, like the answers to algebra homework," Victoria says. To that, I give her a small smile. I miss how things used to be. When Matt would look at me, Victoria would be the first to hear about it. That's when life was simpler. 

"What do I say back?" I ask, all giggly. I don't know what this means, but I'll let myself soak in the moment. 

My friends all start talking at once. I ignore them and reply with "hey hru?"

"Imagine if you start dating Matt? Would that still be considered a high school sweetheart sort of thing? Like you didn't date in high school but you liked him then," Victoria rambles. We continue walking to her car. I put my phone back in my pocket. A few seconds later, I hear a text notification. Instead of desperately checking my phone, I decide to live in the moment. Chloe starts skipping, and I follow along. We stop to admire intricate Halloween lights on someone's Victorian house. Finally, I check my phone. 

Matt

I could be better. I'm coming to Somerville to clear my head for a bit.