i. the pilot

The Gilmores have a caffeine addiction and the best coffee in Stars Hollow comes from Luke's, the diner that once was a hardware store.

"Please, Luke. Please, please, please." Lorelai Gilmore, the mother, begs for another cup of coffee.

"How many cups have you had today?" Luke Danes, the owner of the diner, asks a simple question that holds a terrifying answer.

"None." She's lying with all of her teeth.

"Plus..."

"Five, but yours is better." She smiles and he melts inside, the human eye doesn't see his reaction, he hides it too well.

"You have a problem."

"Yes, I do." Lorelai hands Luke the cup and he pours coffee into it, reluctantly. "Angel. You've got wings baby."

Two girls come running from the door.

"Hey. It's freezing" One of them makes that remark as she sits down.

"I can't feel my hands." The other one adds with the most dramatic tone ever as she sits down next to her mother and twin sister.

Their names are Rory and Emma. Rory is a short for Lorelai and Emma was inspired by Emily, their grandmother's name. They are very similar but still easily distinguishable. They both have brown hair and blue eyes, just like their mother, but Emma's hair is lighter and slightly wavier, just like their father.

"Oh, what do you need? Hot tea, coffee?"

"Lip gloss." The girls chanted in unison as their mother reached her purse.

"I have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and toasted marshmallow."

"Anything in there not resembling a breakfast cereal?" Rory inquired.

"Yes." Lorelai digs in her purse. "It has no smell but it changes color with your mood."

"Rupaul doesn't need this much makeup." Emma said. "But give the strawberry one, please."

"I guess I'll take the mood swinging one."

"You're crabby."

"I lost my Macy Gray CD." Emma ranted.

"I have it." Lorelai hands the CD to her daughter with a "I'm sorry" look in her eyes.

"Thief." Emma's voice has a sad mean tone to it, but with a "I forgive you" look in her eyes. "I also need caffeine."

"We need caffeine." Rory corrects her sister.

"I'll get it." The mother goes to the counter. Luke refuses to give her those two cups of coffee and they leave hunting for those hot cups of coffee.

✯✯✯

Rory, Emma and their best friend Lane are walking to school.

"When will you let your parents know that you listen to the evil rock music?" Rory asks holding Lane's denim jacket as the friend changes to some clothes that her very conservative catholic mother disapproves of.

"And that you're in a band?" Emma adds holding the stack of 'forbidden' bracelets that Lane was about to put on.

"If my parents still get upset over the obscene portion size of American food, I seriously doubt I'm gonna make any inroads with Eminem and my secret drum kit."

They stopped next to a sign as Rory handed Lane her denim jacket. The sign was about this Teen Hayride that was happening in Stars Hollow.

"I have to go to that." Lane confessed.