xiii. fight or flight

Franz Kafka once said: 'I never wish to be easily defined'. And, to reminisce on the defining matter, Emma has felt all her life that she was easily defined. It limits her. It degrades her in many ways.

To be defined by others (and knowing the definitions) is acknowledging that we're perceived, seen, that other human beings perceive us, see us, in different shades of color and under different lights.

Tristan couldn't define Emma even if he tried. Rory would just say she's her sister, her other half. Lorelai would be in silence, her soul is unable to describe such deep meanings. Lane would just recite a lyric from a Fiona Apple song. Dave and Brian wouldn't know where to start but would probably start with Emma's talent. Luke would be in silence. Max, mostly known as Mr. Medina, would say she's a great student. Paris would ignore the question if she was asked to define Emma. Madeline would probably define her through her style and beauty. Louise would smile. Michelle would take a deep breath and say some expression full of regret like 'my biggest loss'. Adam would say something stupid and disgusting. Richard and Emily wouldn't be able o define their granddaughter, I don't think they know her enough yet.

Even if we don't know a person that well, it's easy to make the mistake of defining them in our heads. Every time I meet a new person I create this unrealistic characterization. It's probably my fatal flaw.

Right now, Emma is about to meet new people. People who will probably define her as something far from her true self, even if Emma herself doesn't know what that is. I'm referring to the Daughters of the America Revolution, the DAR. It's a tea party, one that Tristan said he had the habit of attending with his grandmother from now and then.

"Good afternoon." Tristan spoke to establish their presence. Emma was in his arm, wearing a white dress with blue flowers. She was shy, you could sense it in her smile. She saw her grandmother on the table and felt more at ease, that's the effect of seeing a familiar face in a room full of strangers.

"Look who arrived!" Tristan's grandmother stood up to greet them.

"Hi grandma."

"Hello Mrs. Dugray. It's really nice to meet you."

"Call me Dorothea, dear. I'm so glad you came." She hugged Emma. It was surprising. "Come and sit. Girls! You know my grandson, Tristan. This is Emma, his girlfriend."

A few ladies on the table showed through their smiles a little judgment, the other ones were smiling genuinely.

"My granddaughter." Emily added with pride in her voice. She pulled the chair next to her. "How are you feeling, Emma?"

"Great. And you?" Emma sat down next to her grandma.

"Marvelous." Emily smiled widely. She was enjoying this. It was a weird way of showing off to her 'friends'.

They were in the garden. It was a white table with beautiful metal work. The table cloth was lacy and covered by a tower of pastries and porcelain tea cups and tea pots. It was majestic.

Tristan sat next to Emma.

"So... What's the latest gossip?" He started pouring the tea in his and Emma's cups.

"I heard Eddie White has a new bimbo." A lady in a baby blue chanel-like suit said.

"Really?" Tristan was interested.

"Her names is Celia. She's 25." The woman in green added. "Blonde. Tall."

"I heard she was from Canada." A lady in beige said.

"Uh." Emily did a judgmental sound.

"Who's Eddie White?" Emma inquired.

"One of Hartford's richest men. And Brenda's ex husband." A lady in yellow explained. Everybody looked at Brenda, the lady in orange.