xvii. prom

"Emma." It was the first time Paris directly spoke to Emma. That's the reason why Emma was so surprised when Paris asked her to come to the student council meeting.

"How can I help?" Emma sat on the long table next to Rory, Paris, Louise, Madeline and 5 other people.

"You know prom?"

"Are you asking me to prom, Paris? I'm flattered but I don't think I can accept it."

"Anyways." Paris rolled her eyes. "Rory told me- told us that you have a band."

"I'm in a band. I don't have it. It's not mine."

"That's the same thing."

"No, it isn't."

Emma was making Paris a little furious. Rory smiled at her sister.

"What Paris is trying to ask is: do you want to play on the prom?'" Louise sealed the deal.

"I don't know if that's-"

"Our DJ cancelled last minute. Prom is Saturday. You are our last hope." Paris spoke really fast.

"In that case... what's the pay check?"

"200." Paris answered.

"But we were paying the DJ 700 dollars..."

"Madeline!" Paris yelled. She looked at Emma, who was a little startled by the amount of money a school was going to pay for someone to click on a few buttons. "400 dollars."

"600 or we won't play."

"Fine." Paris caved. "You and your band have to be at the venue at 5pm. Don't be late."

"Yes, ma'am."

"The meeting is over. You can go home." Everybody left the room. The only people who stayed were Rory and Paris, like always. However, this time the conversation was going to be completely different. Rory decided to finally do it.

"Paris."

"Yes."

"Hum... I need to tell you something."

"Spit it out, Gilmore."

"Yes... Hum..."

"You've never had any difficulties saying what's on your mind. What's so nerve-wracking that has you stuttering?" Paris wasn't looking at Rory's pale expression. Paris was concentrated at organizing the papers in the table.

Rory took a deep breath.

"I like you, romantically." Paris' concentration left the papers on the table. She froze. "Okay. Bye."

Rory ran out the door.

✯✯✯

It was 5pm and the band and Rory were standing outside the venue.

"This is huge!" Brian exclaimed.

"Wait until you see inside." Rory said as they walked in.

The school rented an actual ballroom with the highest ceilings a person could ever imagine. The dark wood made more elegant. The tables were decorated in a classy way. The whole place was lit up like a castle. And the stage was an uplifted floor at the end of the room.

"All of this for high schoolers?" Dave asked.

"Hi!" Louise appeared out of the blue. "You can start setting things up. Those guys over there will help you carry things if needed." She pointed at a group of guys at looked like they just got out of the gym. "Prom starts at 7pm. The food is in the backroom next to the stage. The changing rooms are on the left side of the stage and... if you have any questions, just shout my name."