v. grandparents

Time is valuable. Personally, I'm mortified of losing it, of wasting it, of seeing it fly away. One of the things I'm scared about time is the fact that it always has to end, everybody has to die. If I think about it too much I'll get into an existential crisis, so I'll just get my point: with death and the shortness of time, we'll eventually reach regret of not spending our valuable time with someone whose last seconds just ended. It's a memento moris. The reminder of death. The reminder of the elderly and the sick people in our lives. The reminder of cherishing life.

The twins' grandparents aren't that old or sick, but they're older. Emma thinks about it a lot and regrets the time they spent apart due to the family feud, although she understands and respects her mother's decision. Rory feels the same way. They've talked about it a hundred times, especially when they were little kids in their beds at night, every eve of every holiday.

This whole thing is one of the reasons why they chose to spend their days with their grandparents. Here's to making memories!

Rory arrived at the country club and learned the intricacies of golf and of the entertaining society she was surrounded by. Everything with Richard went smoothly.

On the other hand, the day of Emma and Emily didn't go as quite as planned.

Emma hears a car arrive in the driveway.

"Grandma." She runs for a hug.

"Emma! Hello."

"So, I was thinking. I should give you the Grand Tour. We start with Mrs. Kim's and then maybe walk around and get lunch, because it's already 12am. Then, we have to..." Emma stopped her rambling when she looked at her grandmother's shoes. 

"What's wrong with my shoes?" Emily said kind of aggressively.

"Nothing. It's just... can you walk in them?"

"We're taking the car."

"No. Grandma, please. That's useless. Star's Hollow is not that big, it actually should be called Small Hollow, and there's no parking spots anywhere. Do you have a pair of snickers in your car?"

"Why would I have a pair of snickers? I don't even own one."

"I can lend you one of mom's."

"Oh, no. That's definitely not necessary."

"You'll miss the true Star's Hollow experience if you don't walk. Trust me."

"Okay, but nothing with rhinestones or zebra stripes or batteries or that sings, makes animals noises or moves on its own."

"That'll be hard to find, but..." And she disappears into the top of the stars with a sarcastic smile.

✯✯✯

"I feel ridiculous." Emily confessed.

"You look great."

"I look like a Clydesdale."

"You look like you're comfortable."

"People are staring."

"Because you look great."

"Yeah. What a shame you're grandfather isn't here. He'd fall in love with me all over again." Emma smiled at her grandma's irony. 

When they entered Mrs. Kim's Antiques Emily was extremely confused.

"I think we came in through the storeroom."

"No. This is it." Emma spoke innocently.

"This is the Antique Store? This is ridiculous!" It was the Emily's word of the day. "No one can run a quality business like this. This place is dusty and disorganized, and you can't possibly- Oh, wow! That's gorgeous! Look at the woodwork, it's exquisite. I wonder if it has a mate."