vii. sweet oblivion

It's a Thursday afternoon. The band was rehearsing when Rory bursts in with a frenetic excitement and a phone on her hand.

"Clear your agendas for Saturday night. You have your first gig!"

The screams of happiness started.

"It's a place in Hartford where they do a line-up of 4 underground bands every Saturday. You're the opening act!"

"I have to call my parents. Can I use the phone?" Brian asked.

"Yes, of course."

Dreams do come true.

✯✯✯

It's Friday and the twins are at school. It has been hard to focus on the classes when the only thing in their minds is the show. Nothing could ruin their day, not even Tristan's attitude.

"You look happy today. That's rare."

"Good morning to you too."

Emma and Tristan were sitting next to each other in the Biology lab, the class was about to start.

"Come on. Tell me the reason."

"Can't a person be happy in peace?"

"Yes, but not you."

She sighed at his persistence.

"I'm playing my first gig tomorrow."

"Gig?" He would've never guessed that.

"I'm in a band."

"Band?"

"Are you going to question every single word I say?"

"No, sorry."

This next event is fully charged by extremely impulsive decisions...

"Do you want to come?"

"Me?" He would've never guessed that. "Sorry, I did it again. And yes, I would love to."

"Give me your number."

"Why?" They laughed softly because, you know, he did it again.

"I'll text you the time and the address."

"Okay." He grabbed a random pencil and wrote his number on her open notebook. I won't lie, they were both very excited. It was almost childish.

✯✯✯

"I feel like I might throw up." Brian confessed. 

"Me too." Emma joined the confession.

"You're going to do great. Don't worry." Lorelai was there to make sure nobody faints from the nerve wracking sickness of going on stage. It was a big achievement. It was the first time people, real people, actual people would listen to them.

"What if we suck?" Lane asked. 

"You won't. You're not the Offspring." 

"That's her way of saying you're incredible." Rory explained her mother's words.

"I think I forgot how to play the guitar." Dave panicked. "What's a C chord?"

"You could play every song on the setlist with your eyes closed. Don't worry. You're all great." Lorelai really was like a guardian angel.

"Mom." Emma called. "Thank you for existing." They hugged. Lorelai didn't say a word. It meant a lot to her.

A few minutes later the guy with the very professional look told them it was time. They all put their hands in a circle and scream 'Oblivion'.