sixteen, balconies and tattoos

After reuniting with all of her old friends, Jane was introduced to Enid. The girls made friends instantly, and Jane thanked Enid for being there for carl and Judith. Then, Jane was taken into one of the two group-shared houses, and was told to sit down.

She explained everything to everyone, about how she'd been knocked out from the prison's blow. How she found Ellie, and their first month together. The incident in that small town. Then she opened up about Oceanside, and it's untimely demise.

"And what about these guys? What did they look like?" Rick asked, stroking his beard in a knowing manner.

"Old. Ragged. They all wore some type of leather. The main guy, cocky piece of shit, he came out of it pretty bad. I shot him in the leg, but Ellie was hurt, so, I didn't stay to fight." They all leaned in closer to her, like that would enhance their hearing or something. Speaking of, Jane was finding it difficult to hear everyone else,
Probably because of her bloodied ears.

"He never told me his name. He said it was a 'surprise for later'." They all looked at each other, and the room was filled with concerned glances and low murmurs Jane couldn't pick up.

Instead, there was a loud ringing banging off the walls of her skull. She squeezed her eyes shut, covering her hands over her ears though it did nothing. It felt like everything was flipped back to front, spinning in endless void. It started off slow and quiet, but soon turned deadly and unbearable - existing in just her eardrums alone.

Carl, who had been watching her the whole time, hurried over to her - whilst none of the others seemed to notice her deadly condition. Kneeling down in-front of her, he rubbed her shoulders lightly, saying soothing words.

"Dad!" He yelled, and Rick came to his sons attention immediately, perceiving Jane with her hands coated in a thick layer of blood. Her own blood.

Jane opened her eyes just to look at Carl, because as bad as this all was, he was there.
Rick rushed over, and soon, everyone was crowding round her - asking, wondering. But she could only see their lips moving, their words hanging high over her head as she tried to catch them.

And now everything was too much, and everyone's faces seemed to blend into just one. She could feel carls arms resting lightly on her shoulders, and she could sense the warm blood running down her ragged outfit.

Then, everything went dark.

"She'll be alright, guys. I've stitched up her ears, so that should stop the bleeding. Her hearing will be a little impaired because it wasn't treated immediately,
But it shouldn't be that bad. She'll be knocked out for a while, but when she wakes she'll be in tip-top shape."
Denise explained to the worried group of people standing in-front of her.

It had been incredibly difficult to work with them all leering over her shoulder, so she had ushered them out of the room within the first ten minutes of the procedure. Which, ultimately, left them sitting at the door, occasionally putting an ear to it - hoping to hear her voice.

Everyone started to file out, grabbing weapons from the armoury and whatnot. But Carl didn't. Carl couldn't.

His girl was back, and he wasn't going to just leave her. His whole demeanour had changed since she had gotten back. His whole life did, too. It still hadn't sunk in that she was here, and she was breathing the same air as him again.