thirty four, 𝗐𝖾 𝖻𝗎𝗋𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝖽, 𝗇𝗈𝗍 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗅𝗂𝗏𝗂𝗇𝗀

Sophia. Carl. Glenn. Abraham. Sasha. Carol.
All people that she'd lost, in one way or another.
In every way, though; she'd lost everyone.

She stood there now, in-front of her shaking mother, placing her eyes somewhere else. All she could do was think about it all, everything that has or could've happened. She'd been shoving herself through it, ploughing into the hurt headfirst every time she got too close to 'happy'.

She couldn't be happy again, after this. She would never be granted a clean slate to lay her thoughts upon and wish away. No. This moment had only lasted around ten minutes, yet, it would be with her forever - through her darkest midnights and earliest dawns. She would forever be stuck: a child, a small child, living inside an adult's body.

She should've been happy to see Carol Peletier again, yet, in her mothers eyes, she could only see her sister staring back at her. Small, innocent, and dead. Very dead.

Normally, she wouldn't of liked this. Would've sprinted full speed away from it. But now, only now, it was comforting and warm. It was almost inviting her in.
You got to die, and I have to live through all of this. How is that fair? She thought.

How was it fair?

After saying no words to her mother, her mouth immediately latched onto the name of the boy she loved. The name of the boy she'd done all this for, in the end. Yet, when she tried to shape the syllables in her mouth they all seemed to end in one familiar croak.

Every inch of her was battered and bruised, and her throat was no exception. She gathered the injury had gotten so bad because it had been tackled before, not so long ago. Sweet pinks and purples aroused on her rough skin, showing themselves immediately after the action. Though it hurt, oh, how bad it hurt - she kept trying, over and over to call his name. Her mother stroked her face smoothly, shushing her.

"Carl," she coughed, managing to get something audible out. Her mother was quick to understand, shifting her eyes over to Carl in the distance, who was making his way over. "Shhh, he's okay honey, he's alright." Carol said, placing an arm on Jane's shoulder.

Carol was so close now that when Jane tried to fall, she caught it, just barely. Her daughter was slowly slipping out of her arms and onto the floor, cascading down like many other times that day. She felt an extra arm snake around her waist, softly at that. It kept her from the bone breaking hit below, saving her from hurt like it had always tried to do.

Launched back into consciousness, she glanced at the boy beside her, squinting into his eyes like she didn't recognise him. Her face was chipped and broken, and her hair had begun to stick to the sweat on her neck and face.

"We need to get her to the infirmary!" Carol said, putting one of her daughter's arms around her shoulder.

"There's no point, we don't have a doctor, just take her back to the house." He said frantically, and Carol nodded. They began to walk back to the house, passing the others they knew so well. Ezekiel watched from afar, with great fascination. He'd taken a liking to Carol recently, and hadn't connected the dots until now.

Once they were in the house, Carl put her down on the sofa and turned back to Carol.

"I can take it from here," he said.
"I can help you take care of her, she needs it."