twenty seven, 𝗋𝖾𝗈𝗉𝖾𝗇𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗐𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽

The Grimes's house had been empty for the past few days, so having so many people in it felt strange. Everyone in Jane's life had left her at the same time, and for awhile it felt like it was only her and Carl in the whole world. Jane had created the illusion for herself that her and Carl lived a happy life together, looking after Judith in their nice house. That wasn't the case.

She thought about the people she had lost just this week. Her mom, Abraham, Glenn, Daryl, Maggie, Enid, Ellie, Eugene. After all of this was over, she planned to go find her mother, and stop off at hilltop to see Maggie, Ellie and Enid. Right now, she was terrified to leave Carl's side. These past few days, she'd felt more attached to him than she ever had, and that feeling came with immense worry.

The teens had been spending almost every minute of the day with each other - and they liked it that way.

Now, Rick and Michonne were back, and telling them off like the parents they were. They'd felt so grown up, going to the sanctuary alone - but now they just felt like dumb kids again.

"I can't believe you would risk your lives like that!" Rick bellowed, towering over Carl and Jane, who were sitting beside each other on the couch. Michonne paced rapidly back and forth behind Rick, covering her mouth with one hand in disbelief.

Jane felt like telling them to just calm down - that it was to try and save Daryl, and that they would've done the same. But she didn't, instead, she kept her mouth pinned shut as she watched the two adults get angrier and angrier.

Carl however, had a lot to say.

"We weren't going to sit here and do nothing!" He protested, pushing a strand of hair out of his face.

"You should've. You're just kids. You don't know nothin." Rick whisper-yelled, giving both of them desperate side eyes.

That's when Michonne stopped pacing, coming to her senses and copying Rick's dominant stance.

"We just don't want you to get hurt." She said, avoiding eye contact with both of them. Carl had had enough. He stood up, shaking his head vigorously at the two of them before leaving quietly out the front door and onto the porch. The sky was beginning to darken, an array of pinks and yellows scratching at the sky as it smoothed over into black.

The porch was quiet, and peaceful - unlike what it had been only an hour earlier. A mess of blood still stained the gravel on the unused road, and there was still a perfect line of red engraved on the white wood below his feet.

No matter how peaceful things seemed, there was always a remnant of something. Wether it was blood, or a body, or even just a thought. A thought of death, or loss, or sadness - or even anger. He hated it. It felt as if every thought that he had was always chasing him, and the things that he had seen and done were always following. Watching as he kept adding to the list of dead things and changed things.

Though the sun was setting and their settlement resembled that of a fairytale, it would always be marked with invisible omens and memories.

The door clicked open almost soundlessly behind him, and within seconds his girl was at his side, mirroring his action of staring into the sky. The porch proved to be sort of a sentimental place for them, though they didn't mean it to be. They always found themselves coming out to stand in the silence of the porch once everything got too much - leaning over the railings and speaking to each other.