forty three, nonsense

DARYL DIXON SPUN THE girl's arrow between his two almost frost bitten fingers, examining it's delicacy with careful intent.

"You make these yourself?" He asks, through gritted teeth.

"Yeah. Ellie showed me how."

"Smart girl," he grunted, handing the twig like structure back to her and flashing her a glint of a smile. Something very unheard of from him these days.

"You bet," Jane grinned, slotting it back into her quiver behind her and turning her head to the trees.

Jane Peletier had shame in admitting to anyone that she had been sneaking out at night to stalk the woods. She always left after three and was back before four, so really she was only out for around 40 minutes each turn. In a few of these ventures she had ended up walking back alongside Daryl, who had found himself wandering the same route at the same AM.

She was excited to go home to Alexandria, where the woods would be much more familiar and Michonne would greet her in the dark. The three of them found it difficult to let go of the outside world, or maybe there was some sort of fear there - a fear of forgetting. Forgetting what it was like, taking it all for granted. Enid had told her something similar about this premonition when the girls had first met, and Jane had seen her clamber over the metal for the first time.

"Your boy know you do this?" He asked, cleaning his knife on his vest. She shook her head.

"Besides, I've been doing it less anyway. He's been having..." she trailed off, realising she was about to share too much with the man, but he just pursed his lips: pushing them together in an understanding manner.

"Nightmares?" He finished. She nodded her head again.

"I just want to be there for him, you know, to get him back to sleep. Haven't been out here in two weeks. I mean, most of the time they're even about me."

"And you don't get nightmares?"

She avoided the question like it was something she could've caught, and moved on as wood snapped beneath her boots. She did. Of course she did.

They continued to walk, past the rising sun and spiking trees and only stopped when they had almost crossed the line of mere barren wasteland. There wasn't really anything out there anymore. Every building, Every supply, had been scalped, scoured or destroyed by now.
Humans were slowly redacting from the surface, and soon, Jane predicted - it would be like they had never existed.

Of course, this was something they had all seen take place over the years. You lose a sibling, or a parent, and then it's a friend, or a girlfriend, or a husband. It could be someone you barely knew, or someone you poured your troubles to.

No one was awake, not when they had gotten back, anyway. Crawling back into bed with Carl had been too easy, too safe, and she was suddenly shot with a feeling of caution as their arms brushed against one another.
This thought was usual - routinely, almost. She couldn't say it had stemmed from a particular accident - rather, it had come from everything in general. When things get too calm, too happy, a creeping sensation convinces her that something is going to happen. Her life is not nearly deserving of stability, let alone happiness.

"I feel so shit," Jane groans, rubbing her eyes and combing her hair back between her fingers. She had never been a morning person, not even when she had time to wake up at 12 everyday. "I hate mornings."

"Wow, Carl can't be that good, can he?" Ellie said, laughing as she handed jane a cup of nettle tea.

"Oh, shush," she replied, though smiling at the girl.