III. POISONOUS HISTORY

POISONOUS VINE

warning; mention of slavery and rape as used in the scenes of s3.4/5

✬✬✬

✬✬✬

Rhaenya had looked at the new man besides her sister, as she stood with Aegon. "Who is this?" she asked as she looked at the older man, who bowed before her. "My name is ser Barristan Selmy, I was in your father's Kingsguard, and hope to serve the rightful Heir once again" Barristan said as he eyed Aegon too. Rhaenya looked at Daenerys as she looked at Mormont too. "You were on his Kingsguard when you let Jaime Lannister kill him?" she asked as she looked at the older man. She had heard enough from her brother to know who had been on their side, and who had not been.

Ser Barristan Selmy may have fought for House Targaryen, but he had not objected when Robert Baratheon took their throne. "Princess, what your father did—" he started as he looked at her. "I know, ser Barristan, I have been told countless times by our enemies. I know my father wished to burn the entirety of Westeros if he could, but you were sworn to him, how are we supposed to trust him when you couldn't even protect him" Rhaenya said as she straightened herself.

The moment Viserys had died, and her dragon had hatched, Rhaenya had been as confident as her sister with her Dothraki army, although small. He nodded. "I wish to redeem myself then" he said, bowing his head. "To the Queen, to you, and even your ancestor" he said looking at Aegon who didn't understand why Rhaenya disliked him but felt like he could trust her judgement.

"We will keep an eye on him, sister" Daenerys said and Rhaenya nodded before Daenerys looked at Aegon as well. "on both of them" she said, she did not trust Aegon either, although her sister had never failed her judgement of character, she had heard the histories of her House, and the Dance of Dragons would not be in her favour. Aegon nodded understandingly, he would not have trust them either if he was in their place. But he did trust them for some reason.

He walked with Rhaenya, Blackfyre on his hip as he wondered what had happened to the dagger and Dark Sister, as they walked past a gruesome sight which made Rhaenya gasp in horror. "The Walk of Punishment is a warning, Your Grace" Barristan told them. "to whom?" Daenerys asked as they walked along a line of people point by chains against a cross, whip lashes on their bare chest. "To any slave who contemplates doing whatever these slaves did" Jorah said. "Give me your water" Daenerys said when she saw a man who looked particularly worse. "Khaleesi, these men are sentenced to death" Jorah said. "Not by the correct law" Rhaenya said as she looked at her sister, agreeing with her. Daenerys tried to make the man drink, but he refused.

"Leave this place, Your Graces, leave it tonight I beg you" Barristan said as he looked at the three Targaryens. "There is no other place for us to go, not until we have the army, we need to get our home back" Rhaenya said. Aegon listened, hoping to learn more about them as he kept quiet. His arms behind his back as he followed Rhaenya and Daenerys. "We can find sellswords in Pentos and Myr" Barristan argued before Jorah looked at him. "Is it 'we' already, ser Barristan" Jorah said, and it seemed Jorah trusted him as much as Rhaenya did.