VIII. POISONOUS STAGS

POISONOUS VINE

⎯POISONOUS VINE

✬✬✬

Stannis Baratheon had agreed to speak with Rhaenya as they found a place to converse, with Davos by his side, and Aegon by hers. "Does your sister not seek the Iron Throne for herself?" Stannis said as he leaned back to watch the Targaryen Princess. "She does, but she has a lot to learn before she can. We have been named Queens by the people of Slaver's Bay, but we cannot keep them safe yet, and thus we must learn, becoming a monarch is not a given, Lord Stannis—" she said as she looked towards him. "—King, I am King" Stannis corrected her as she smirked at him. "King" she said with a mock to her tone. "King of what? I hear you reign from Dragonstone, my ancestral home. House Baratheon has and always will be our bastard House" she said as she looked at Stannis.

"Stannis of the House Baratheon is the rightful king" Davos said as he looked to the young woman. "And how is he? Because his brother was, who had no legitimate children?" Rhaenya asked as she turned to Davos. "And before his brother, who was King then?" she asked as she looked at Stannis. "You said you wanted to ally yourself, then why do you insult me now?" Stannis asked as she looked at him. "I know of your witch, the Red Woman you have by your side" she said as she leaned forward. "I have seen her in my dreams, and it is her I know shall survive a moment longer than you" she said as she looked at the claimant King.

"I have no use for the Seven Kingdoms, I will admit that. I want a home, specifically I want my home. I wish for you to return Dragonstone to us, to House Targaryen" she said as she looked at Stannis. "And in return?" Davos asked as he looked to the young woman. "In return I shall not take back the Iron Throne, with fire and blood, and I shall keep my sister away from the Seven Kingdoms as well" she said as she looked at Stannis. "You would betray her?" Stannis asked. "No, I am only protecting her. Kings in Westeros die like flies. Joffrey is gone, as is Robb of House Stark, and your own brother Renly has not survived either. It's between you, the Ironborn old man, and a boy who is barely off his mother's teat" she said.

Davos looked at the young woman, a fire burned in her eyes that he had not seen before with anyone. "I think we should listen to her" Davos told his king as he looked from her back to him. "And why is that" Stannis said. "If you give back Dragonstone, you might call upon them as your bannermen. They have the Unsullied, and some Dothraki, if word to mouth is to be believed, and not to forget the whispers of dragons" Davos said.

"Those are not whispers, my dragon Sunfyre is right outside, waiting for my command to either let you live, or feast" Aegon said, leaning back in his chair as he watched the two men. "Aegon—son of Rhaegar?" Stannis asked as he looked to the boy. "No, see, House Targaryen runs thick with blood magic and dragons that my dragon and I have crossed oceans of time to see the triumph of my house once more. I am Aegon, second of my name, son of Viserys the first of his name and Alicent Hightower" Aegon said as he looked the man, and by the look on his face he knew Stannis knew who he was. "You took the throne from your own sister, and yet you pledge yourselves to these girls who know nothing of their own house?" Stannis said as Aegon's eyes darkened. "I have done things in my time I shouldn't have, including taking the throne from its rightful Heir" Aegon said as he looked to Stannis.