Chapter 6

A few weeks later, Athelia was sat on the floor of her cave practising magic. Staring at her dagger lay in front of her, Athelia focused all her concentration on it and slowly it rose from the floor. Releasing her held breath, Athelia stood up and it rose with her.

"Guess who-" Odelius appeared and began talking. Before he could continue, Athelia's dagger went flying past him and crashed into a barrel behind him. Seeing the dagger shoot past him, Odelius looked questioningly at Athelia.

"I was practising, and you startled me." Athelia explained, walking over to the barrel to retrieve her dagger. Sighing as she pulled the dagger from where it planted into the barrel, Athelia knew there was no point telling Odelius to stop randomly appearing as she had already tried many times before.

"As I was saying..." Odelius grinned, "Guess who just got asked to find you a husband?"

Athelia felt her heart drop. Stuttering in shock and disbelief, Athelia tried to respond, "A- a what?"

"You knew it was coming soon." Odelius teased, "Maybe a pig farmer?"

"I can't get married!" Athelia exclaimed, "They will find out who I am, and I will end up being burnt alive!"

Odelius rolled his eyes, "Relax. You will be fine!"

"Relax?" Athelia gritted her teeth and brushed past him, throwing her dagger onto a table. Burying her face into her hands, Athelia groaned before looking at Odelius, "Odelius. You must see this is a bad idea!"

"You are overreacting." Odelius brushed off Athelia's concerns, "Many potential husbands have been invited to the castle tomorrow. I suggest you get used to the idea."

Seeing Odelius wouldn't listen, Athelia huffed and walked out of the cave.

***

The following day Athelia stood nervously near the throne, watching as potential husbands walked up to the throne for Odelius to question. King Aurion sat on his throne, his head resting on his hand, watching as Odelius went through the line of men.

"Next!" Shouted Odelius.

Stepping forward, two men dressed in black suits bowed in front of the throne. The older of the two had red ivy patterns sewn around the collar of his suit, with a red phoenix sewn on the chest. The younger man had the same patterns sewn on his suit, but in silver. Both looked pale, as if they had not seen the sun in years, and their hair was as black as coal.

"Lord Drathus, it is good to see you again." Odelius greeted them, "Is this your son?"

"It is good to be back. We have been travelling for a while." Drathus replied before gesturing to his son, "Yes, this is my son, Drake."

"We will be returning to court meetings again now we have returned." Drathus began speaking to Odelius while Drake walked over to Athelia.

Bowing in front of Athelia, Drake spoke, "It is a pleasure to meet you, Athelia."

Surprised by Drake's gesture, Athelia curtsied and replied, "It is a pleasure to meet you too."

Having watched the interaction, Odelius nodded, "This could work well, let's discuss details."

"Splendid!" King Aurion interrupted, "Now that is out of the way, I have something to ask you Lord Odelius."

"You have been a loyal advisor for many years, and now I don't have Leon as my heir, would you marry my daughter Jasmine when she is old enough?" King Aurion spoke, but in his voice, there was a mild desperation that made it sound more of an order than a request, "I trust you the most, and I know you will take care of my daughter."