F O U R

- RATHER WALK ALONE -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

After Peter showed Liz all his crazy new changes, she had a shift at the same restaurant her mother worked at. It wasn't terribly busy being a Monday night, but the manager working tonight was a thorn in the Pierce's side's. He didn't like them for whatever reason making working with him completely unbearable.

He stepped out to run an errand giving Liz the perfect opportunity to actually help her brother with the homework he's been struggling with.

"Explain it to me like I'm five." Leo rubbed his forehead in the booth off in the corner, Liz letting out a sympathetic sigh as she looked over the worksheet.

"Algebra isn't for five-year-old's." She smiled, the boy letting out an exaggerated huff as he dropped his head into his folded arms across the table.

Leo shot his head back up with an idea seeming to pop up in his mind. "I know! You could do it for me!"

"No, I can't. I mean no offense, but nobody's gonna believe you just suddenly got better at math, bud." She placed a hand on his shoulder as he squinted his eyes at her.

"If you do say so yourself." He said in a mocking tone, the girl rolling her eyes and nudging his head.

"Here." She took his notebook and pencil before she started jotting down a few notes. "I'll write down some notes that I found helpful when I took this."

"Fine." Leo sighed, looking over the notes, hating to admit they appeared to be helpful. "I don't like you."

"It's mutual." She chuckled, getting back to her feet and rubbing her hands along her apron, her only table at the moment having just finished their food.

Once she got her customers bill settled and they were out the door, she started sweeping her section in hopes a few more people would walk in. She needed all the money she could get and slow nights like this weren't much help at all.

Molly, Liz's mother, came walking out of the kitchen with a plate of food for the only couple left in the building. She set it at their table and walked over to her daughter as she ran a hand down her tired face. Double shifts were a bitch.

"Lizzie, how 'bout you head home? I think I can handle it from here." Molly suggested.

"But it's just us right now. We've still got all the closing cleaning to get done." Liz countered, looking over her exhausted mother with furrowed brows. She always worried about her working way too hard.

"Last time I stayed late by myself, I got a few extra bucks in my pocket. You've got school in the morning and I've got this covered." She took the broom and set it against one of the many empty table before untying Liz's apron and holding it out for her. "Go home."

Liz nodded reluctantly before heading into the back for her backpack and coat, clocking out for the day as her mother continued to sweep.

"Have fun at Dave's." Liz patted her brothers back on her way out, the boy only there in the first place to be picked up by his friend's parents.