F I V E

- GOGGLES AND GARDEN GLOVES -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

     You know how when someone dies, the world seems to get darker? Liz felt as though she was living in black and white. She'd tried to remain a shoulder to cry on for Peter and May, but as soon as she left their house, she was a sobbing mess.

She didn't want to be sad, having this idea made up in her mind that she had no right to be when she wasn't even related to the man. But guilt was also weighing heavily on her shoulders, so angry with herself for just standing there and watching it happen. She felt like she could've done so much more.

The next day at school, her mind was numb and eyes tired from crying all night, the evidence of exhaustion clear with the bags under her eyes and her sluggishly slow pace.

What she didn't expect to see was Peter. She figured he'd play hooky for the next week, and in her eyes, he should've done that. It can't feel good to have every single pair of eyes follow you down the hall as you walk, every student well aware of the tragic happening of last night.

Once he got to his locker, Liz approached him and leaned against the locker beside his, looking over him with concern.

She didn't want to be a nuisance, knowing full well how annoying it can be to be asked over and over how you're doing. Being his friend though, she felt obligated to check on him.

"Did you sleep?" She questioned, Peter shaking his head in a silent reply as he opened his locker and grabbed a couple books from the contents inside.

"Hey, Parker!" Liz moved her head from around Peter's open locker, groaning at the sight of Flash as he walked towards them.

"Not today, Flash." Peter's voice was hoarse as he shook his head, quickly stuffing his things into his backpack.

"Hey, come on, man. I just want to talk." Flash walked up and placed a hand on Peter's shoulder, this causing a rise out of the boy as he quickly grabbed the fabric of Flash's hoodie and lifted him off the ground, slamming him against the lockers.

Liz backed up, all the students looking at the feared Flash Thompson being lifted like he was light as a feather.

"It feels better, right?" Flash looked uncharacteristically sympathetic with his eyes pointed at Peter understandably. "Look, your uncle died."

Peter let his head hang again, slowly lowering Flash back to his feet with his grip still tight around his hoodie. "I'm sorry. I get it. I'm sorry, okay?"

Peter nodded with his eyes pointed to the ground as he let go of Flash, bending down to pick up his backpack before quickly trying to walk down the hallway.

"Hey, Pete—" Liz held out a hand to stop him but he avoided her touch, shaking his head.

     "I just need a minute." He could barely look up as he pled, but the glimpse she got of his eyes was a very sad one at that.

     She nodded in understanding but he only made it a few feet before Gwen would stop him and bring him in for a hug that he didn't reciprocate.