N I N E

- FRED'S GONE MAD -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"Why'd it have to be a spider?" Liz huffed as she inspected the creature trapped in the containment of a tiny jar, herself and Peter sitting in the middle of the bleachers at their school as the football team was practicing.

     "Because if it was a butterfly then I'd have wings and those things are a lot harder to keep hidden." Peter stated as if he knew the problem from personal experience.

     She handed him back the spider, shivering uncontrollably at the gross bug. "Who else knows?"

     "Just you." He said with a warm smile, the boy having one helplessly plastered to his face since their little moment last night.

     "Peter, you haven't told May yet?" Liz sighed giving him a look.

     "I don't plan on ever telling May." He stated assuredly.

She supposed she could understand why. May was a worrisome person in every aspect of the word and knowing her nephew was the wanted vigilante Spiderman would cause an outrage.

     "Hey, you don't...you don't believe what the police are saying, do you?" Peter glanced over her features worriedly.

     "Of course not, I've seen first hand what you do." She replied, tucking her hair behind her ears. "Speaking of which, does any of it scare you? What you can do?"

     He shook his head with a chuckle, feeling the opposite actually about his abilities. "No."

With his outburst of emotion from last night, Peter was simply unable to stop himself from glancing down to her lips. Which he did in a less than subtle fashion as she took notice and quickly changed the subject with a smirk on her face. Like that would keep his eyes off her.

     "What did the thing on the bridge look like?" She questioned.

     "It was real big. Too big to be human." He said shuffling closer. "It was really weird, it's like its arm just...regrew or something."

     "I think you should lay low." She stated, Peter stopping and sitting a little straighter, face morphing into clear protest.

     He shook his head making a point of his disliking towards her idea. "No, can't do that."

     "Um, why?" She scoffed, tipping her head to the side.

     "Because of last night. Those people on the bridge, Leo...Whatever was attacking them would have killed them." He explained pointedly.

     "But—"

     "I gotta go after it."

     "That's not really your job."

     "Maybe it is." Peter finished, Liz turning her head away and looking down to her lap in dismay as she fiddled with the hair tie she was able to steal back.

     Peter sighed, swinging his leg over the metal seat of the bleachers so he was facing her. "Hey, do you want to be my girlfriend?"

     "Wow." She chuckled, momentarily speechless as her cheeks turned pink, looking at him with raised brows. "Trying to change the subject, huh?"

     "We didn't really talk about it last night." Peter grabbed her hand, starting to get a little nervous so he started to play with her fingers. "I really want you to be."