T E N

- JUST A MINUTE -

⚠︎︎a/n: just wanted to give a quick little warning. this chapter does contain verbal abuse and kind of not really a snippet of physical abuse, if you squint. if these topics bother you, please read with discretion⚠︎︎

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

After their discovery, Liz and Peter ran to the police station as quickly as possible, the girl basically saying 'fuck it' to her job as she figured this was much more important.

     To the pair's dismay, Captain Stacy was not at all impressed with their findings and frantic explanation of what they saw. Lack of evidence suggests they could've just been playing a trick.

     It was utterly frustrating, Captain Stacy going as far as to having one of his fellow officers escort them out of the building after over an hour of waiting to try and talk to him in the first place.

     This just made Liz upset the rest of the day, and as a cherry on top of her already bad day, she didn't show up for work.

     By the time they got out of the station, she was already nearly two hours late and she couldn't deal with her asshole manager getting pissy with her today.

     It'd just been a doozy of a day, a roller coaster of horrible happenings and all she wanted to do was go to bed.

     Although she should've expected her mother sitting in wait for her when she got home. After all, she neglected working a shift that was originally hers.

     "Where've you been?" Molly stood from the couch with a bottle of cheap whiskey in her hand. Great, she was already wallowing in self pity and now she was going to be unnecessarily angry.

     "Peter and I had a couple things to do for school." Liz answered simply, learning from the handful of times she's witnessed her mother drunk that she wasn't exactly pleasant to be around. It was best to try and get to her room as quickly as possible.

     Molly scoffed, squinting her eyes at her daughter in growing anger. "You better have a good explanation as to why I got a call from Devyn on my way to my interview saying that you haven't showed up for work and if one of us didn't get there quick we'd both lose our jobs!"

     Liz looked down to her feet, shifting uncomfortably under her glare. "Sorry, something came up."

     "Something came up? That's it?" Molly waited for an answer, snickering unamused at the lack of one before she took another swig from the bottle.

     "Sorry." Liz spoke quietly.

     "I ask you for one thing. I needed one day, Elizabeth, one day! I had to leave my interview for the job I've been working so goddamn hard for all because my incompetent daughter can't think of anybody but herself!" Molly yelled, Liz cowering at her tone, and flinching as she got closer.

     "I had to do something for Dr. Connors at Oscorp, and I wasn't paying attention to the time. Sorry—"

     "Do you realize we need these jobs? I can't afford to pay the bills if I get fired! Do you understand that?" Molly shouted, her features lit with anger as Liz only nodded keeping her eyes away.